Fence @ IP

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Scaphella, 1st Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

Our PM is on our back about going halves with a neighbour to replace this back portion of the fence with colourbond. The quote to replace is $1100 so $550 for us. The other quote was $450 to replace 2 meters with colourbond but the neighbour understandably wants it all done so his fence is all then colourbond. I think it’s a bit rough for us to pay $550 for effectively one panel out of place but wanted others thoughts?

DFF58455-F7BC-474B-976A-0BE08CA20F48.jpeg

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Well a fence is a responsibility of both parties, and the source of many many fights. A whole fence will stand for a while, a patched up fence will be a running sore. Your property your tenants and your neighbour benefit from the full thing.

The last time i got a fence done that was complex, the fencing contractor was able to apportion the costs. But getting agreement from free thinking owners was a nightmare.

I think you should be cooperative to the tune your finances allow, be helpful in negotiating, and recognise that adjoining properties have nasty fights over fences all the time, and try to avoid that as much as you can. Give and take and all that.

MTR and Furphi like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

think of the big picture, co-operate and you all win

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think it is a bit rich asking for a full half of a fence to replace one panel.

Maybe if it does improve your property too, ask the neighbour to pay half of the full front to back so you have a full new fence.

Neighbour might not like that. Might think about asking you to replace what is a working fence. :rolleyes:

Pingu1988 and Scaphella like this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

So currently, it’s part galvanised steel and perfectly serviceable apart from one gal. panel needing repair?

You don’t have to pay more than half the cost of the repair or replacement for the one panel. It may be able to be repaired rather than replaced (what is the problem, exactly?)

If the neighbours want the colour to match, they can paint it with the matching colourbond colour. Or pay for the replacement themselves.

Last edited: 1st Mar, 2021
    Scaphella and wylie like this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

As far as I know you only need to pay half for the fixing. If your neighbour wants to replace the whole fence at that time because it's aesthetically pleasing to them and there is nothing wrong with the rest then that is their choice to pay the increased amount.
    I don't believe in Perth that you are liable for the cost of the rest of it as the rest of it does the job as a fence.
    Having it all one colour does benefit you so it's up to you if you want to play hard ball or pay half and stick it on your tax return and keep the peace.

Scaphella and wylie like this.