Feeling like I'm stuck!

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by spludgey, 8th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

then why isn't everyone doing it?
    I find just generic drivel.
    Buffet drinks cocacola and eats peanut brittle. Will doing that make you a billions too?

spludgey likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. :)

I'm twice your age, and thinking back to our early 30s, we had two children. We had a third child when I was 35. Hubby had a job on an average salary, and I worked between baby 1 and baby 2 and then stayed home with three children... my choice, supported by hubby.

We had two IPs (never held more than three until we developed recently and built four townhouses).

If you choose to have children, then I'd suggest having a job you enjoy, keeping the stress levels low is a good idea. Life is stressful with children. Throw in a demanding job for one or both of you and you may start to wonder "what is all this for?"

You have a PPOR in Sydney and two IPs (Sydney?). You are on a good income with a marriage just ahead.

I think you've done very well and pushing yourself for a nigher paying job just gives you more money. I'm assuming you are coping with the financial burden you've taken on so far?

skater and Sackie like this.
  3. wili7604

wili7604 Member

Thanks Wylie. My fiance is also on a decent paying job so together we consider ourselves fortunate to have been able to afford the PPOR (both IPs in Western Sydney). Financial burden has been fine to date and we've been careful not to stretch ourselves knowing the market could potentially turn over the next couple of years.

The suggestion about finding a less stressful job is a good one and we've thought about it a lot recently! Part of the issue is learning how to balance appreciation of what we already have vs. keeping the ambition to achieve more - but I guess I'll keep figuring that out in time. I've also heard having kids will completely change your life goals / mentality, so I'm looking forward to that!

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Come to the meetup at Wenty leagues tomorrow night and have a chat :)

Just in early 30's, 2 IPs in Western Sydney and a PPOR. Great stuff.

Yep, I'd just say work in a job you enjoy and I think wow, awesome.

skater likes this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

spludgey and MTR like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Better google low performer;)

Last edited by a moderator: 17th May, 2022
  7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

That is me..... read about low performers....meet all those charateristics.

Ya honor I ist guilty..... :D

8. wili7604

wili7604 Member

Thanks Gockie - would love to but unfortunately struck down by COVID. I'll keep an eye out for the next one!

skater likes this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The link I posted on ‘high achiever’ was tongue in cheek, never mind, seems to have backfired.:confused::rolleyes:

10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

My apologies ya honor .... I blew up ya post... :(:D

MTR likes this.
  11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Rome wasn't built in a day. You are here, reading from many who have been playing this game for many years, and possibly feeling like you may be falling behind when you hear of what others have done. Sheesh, our first IP was back in 1998. Remember that your family is the priority, not buying hundreds of properties. Get the family and stress levels on track, and good things will happen in the future.

wili7604 likes this.
  12. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Start by asking yourself why are you "thinking about chasing salary / wealth / bigger house more often than not" first and take it from there. And i mean really dig deep and answer it as sincerely as possible. Whys can be sometimes very difficult to answer...

Do you want these things because they bring you/your family satisfaction/meaning or is it because you are comparing yourself to others or is it because of social pressure from family/fiance ...

Please note that all my previous suggestions are hypotheticals and just to prove my point about the importance of being sincere with your self no matter how hard the truth is and I don't mean to say any of them in a negative way.

wili7604 likes this.
  13. wili7604

wili7604 Member

No offence taken at all, I've been asking myself that question a lot after the past two crazy years. To be honest it is primarily driven by my social circle as they're all high achievers - and sometimes you can't help but want to try "keep the pace".. (which obviously isn't the right way to go about it). I just need to learn to reframe my thoughts I guess.

14. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. Indeed, the right mindset is crucial especially while around high achievers as your mindset can either set you for success or failure.

On one side, having high achievers around can be great as they can be a good guide and someone to look up to but on the other side of things, them being high achievers might make you feel inadequate sometimes. This was at least my own experience around such individuals.

I personally really benefited a lot from reading "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a ****" by Mark Manson. Great book that cleared out a lot of things to my mind especially about what I really care/don't care about and helped me shape a good mindset about many things that were troubling me in life.

wili7604 likes this.
  15. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

It might help to start with the end in mind... what are you working toward?

For some it is hard numbers that motivates them. A specific tangible dollar target, or asset base, or passive income.

Ours evolved from numbers to more of a vision... we just want to be able to do whatever we want whenever we want. We're still working on it but every day we work hard is another day we're closer to realizing that vision.

You also need to be able to enjoy the journey. You can't get longevity out of a career/job that you don't enjoy and this was me for many years in the later part of my PAYG career. Soon as I made a change with that, life changed considerably for the better.

16. wili7604

wili7604 Member

Not the first time I've had this book recommended to me! Definitely on the list.

paulF likes this.
  17. wili7604

wili7604 Member

Thanks Morgs. Dont have a hard number in mind but it's definitely working towards a level of passive income that allows us to be financially independent say in [20?] years...

Regarding PAYG careers, my (perhaps uninformed) view is that you'll struggle to find fufilment until you start working for yourself. I need to figure out what I can start up myself at some point but for now will just have to keep working hard!

18. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Don't forget about your health along the journey. It is something you don't compromise on.
    Money can't buy back your health.
    No point amassing a massive wealth if you are too sick to enjoy it.

wili7604 likes this.
  19. sash

sash Well-Known Member

It is not just PAYG careers .... lots of people in business who also feel trapped.

This is a personal journey to do you. I found I like to do my own thing...and even working for myself would be too hard if it was constant.

I just do me now....and love..... have not had a permanent routine type of job for over 3 years...I exited at 51. I just do property now and love it!

Most people talk about freedom.... sadly only 0.5% will actually do and execute on their plans.... all those stories of people becoming BAs and Mortgage broker is just swapping one job for another in a different format.

craigc and wili7604 like this.
  20. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Okay, a bit of an update:

Currently I'm not really feeling stuck any more.
    I increased my rents by $20k since writing this, which will come in handy once my loans come off fixed in less than a year.

Last week, I had to pass up on buying a property next to one of mine on the Central Coast that I had been planning to buy for a decade if it ever came up for sale, so that I could develop.
    One reason is raising the funds would have been difficult, but the other is that much of my focus has gone into my company that designs and sells high quality lithium batteries. I started it just over a year ago. I'm still netting less than I do in my PAYG job, but I feel it does have a lot of potential, so much so that I will be taking three days a week for the rest of the year off work to work on the business.
    I definitely have a lot of things that I still need to figure out and need to partner with someone at some point, but it's been quite an enjoyable journey. I now have a patent (pending) on a hybrid starter battery that can't accidentally run flat and might well outlive your car, for example.
    I was working with another forum member for a while and he was great, but I had to call a pause to it a few months ago when I really didn't know which way was up. I was unsure whether I was going to close the company or give it a real go and jumping back and forth between the two.

So between that and having two kids (and still 13 tenancies), I simply haven't had time to feel stuck!

Last edited by a moderator: 29th Aug, 2022
    Brendon, Gargamel, Big A and 6 others like this.