Fear of Relationships over worry about losing everything

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Terry_w, 13th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Do you worry about losing your assets upon a relationship breakdown?

1. No, I don't consider this at all

123 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. I worry that I may lose assets but I take the risk

110 vote(s)
    41.5%
  3. I will not enter a relationship at all as I don't want the risk

21 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. I try to have relationships with persons more wealthy that I am.

11 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. bythebay

bythebay Well-Known Member

@Terry_w how much net wealth / assets do these people hold? are we talking tens of millions or just couple thousand grand?
    what age groups do they fall into?
    just curious

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

For every decision there would be one party that feels it is fair and another feel that it is unfair (maybe both feel unfair sometimes).

Not sure how corruption relates to this topic?

3. Terry_w

Which people?

4. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

What if the dad wants to stay with the kids? Does that make a difference?

5. Cbrgirl

Cbrgirl Well-Known Member

It's really easy for people to say they care about the kids, but do they show a pattern of actually caring for the children? Take leave to look after them, pick them up from school, cook for them, helped out at school, sporting events? See the difference?

To the best of my understanding (and I haven't worked in family law for a long time), there is a presumption of joint responsibility for kids (joint input in decision making on schools etc.) - but this does not necessarily amount to joint care.

There are no hard or fast rules. But the more evidence you have that you can show that you have actually looked after the kids (in a practical way) the better your case might be.

I knew a guy who wanted joint care - he got it - and then left the kids with his mother the whole time while he went out. Pathetic. If you aren't prepared to look after your children (don't care if you are male or female) don't have them and don't fight the other partner for custody.

Angel and Nemo30 like this.
  6. Observer

@Cbrgirl all the dads I know do care about their kids in the ways you mentioned and more. Providing that's the case why mothers generally considered to have more rights to have kids after divorce?

7. Observer

Not really. All dads do this.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I believe these days the default position is shared custody. But often it is impractical for dads to be able to be there to collect kids at 3pm daily, so many times it is an arrangement between both parties that means the mother does the week day "thing".

It doesn't mean the court has "given" the mother that time. I know one friend who cops most of the week stuff for this reason as her employment is more flexible. If her ex had week on, week off with her they would be in after school care every second week.

Observer likes this.
  9. Terry_w

Makes a difference
    This is a separate issue to property settlements. This is known as parenting arrangements.
    Mothers are not considered to have more rights to 'have' kids after a divorce. Have a read of the family law act and see. Just search for 'parenting' at FAMILY LAW ACT 1975

EN710 and Observer like this.
  10. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I wonder if this made the insurance company an "interested party" to the division of assets when they found out...

Terry_w likes this.
  11. bez23

bez23 Well-Known Member

It's an awful topic to think about.

I bought the PPoR before marriage, 3 IP in my name before i started buying with her (right before marriage). I pay for all mortgage, household bills and deposit for all properties (even the ones in her name).

I'm gonna lose more than 50% if we separate???

Luckily our relationship is still strong so I don't have to worry about this now.

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you've been reading this thread you would see that your statement about assuming you would lose more than 50% is not the case at all. Each case would be looked at on its merits I believe.

13. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

So as an example, if there is a signed prenup that declares that party A bringing assets into a marriage will have full ownership of the assets on separation regardless of CG or any percieved or actual contribution to the asset from the household pay (given party's A pay will be going to support the assets) and Party B will have no legal rights to contest that agreement, that it is binding in most cases?

When anyone here talks about the merits and demerits of asset protection and how psychlogicially you are not entering into a partnership or marriage with the right mindset it confuses me. Both things have nothing to do with each other as far as I'm concerned as no one I know knowingly enters into a marriage or partnership thinking it will fail. However is is stupid not to mitigate against any unfortunate breakdown if it does occur which can be for a variety of reasons. People who end up breaking up likely never imagine it ever happening to them, who does? It can happen to anyone so when it has, what then? It would be foolish to not only be heart broken but also have to build yourself back up financially. If one can at all help it, they should.

Someone rightly compared it to insurance, I don't plan to burn my home down when I get it, but say it does burn down due to negligence or some other issue. Should I not have had insurance cz that risk mitigation upfront somehow means that I'm eventually planning to burn my house down?

wylie likes this.
  14. Gypsyblood

That's very harsh :)

15. Terry_w

A BFA is a contract between two parties so it will depend on the terms and the contract and how it is implemented.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  16. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Ereryones relationship is different. In the beginning it is ok to think like that but once it gets serious (talking marriage) I feel you need to let go of this "what's mine is mine" way of thinking. Marriage or a long term relationship is about two people becoming one family. To get to that stage, if you want to maintain it there is no going back.

If I knew of someone who was protecting prior assets from a partner five years into marriage I would think that is something of a cold relationship. Just my opinion.

17. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Half of people who marry disagree with you and get a divorce.

Gladys likes this.
  18. Gypsyblood

When partners are in a marriage or defacto and together there is no mine or yours as you are one unit. When it breaks down, an agreement made at a time when both were in a healthier and happier mind frame is to me a lot better than giving that power to anyone else. At that time, what ever you have protected and agreed to is yours and whatever they protected and agreed to is theirs. There no "ours" then.

I guess what I am failing to get is why that future planning given that it is an unfortunate fact of life for many people, similar to a house burning down analogy is considered taboo or having the wrong mindset. Absolutely no one enters a relationship with divorce on their mind, like I don't take my car out planning a crash, but I'm insured for it. Why is this "insurance" considered wrong?

19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Because of the 'love and trust' factor. Tell a car you don't believe it or trust it and it won't care. A human being, on the other hand...

(I am surprised that you had to ask.)

Last edited: 1st Jul, 2017
  20. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Yeah, love, Gypsy pal. The magic and the mystery lol.