‘FAST’ Refinance - how fast, how furious?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Lucky Lad, 20th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lucky Lad

Lucky Lad Active Member

So I’m refinancing my home loan and they say I don’t have to worry about paying my annual fees to my current lender which is due mid-Feb.

They say they can do settlement within a week of loan docs signing.

For beginners, how does “Fast Refinance” work and what’s the incentive of Old Lender quickly turning around the paperwork to discharge the loan and transfer the mortgage to New Lender? Will Old Lender hold on to the paperwork before actually closing my loan accounts and charge me annual fees?

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

fast refi if done properly is great

There is NO discharge per se for the old lender to drag their feet

Your new funder simply buys title insurance,and pays out the old loan account with a small overage/excess

Then the discharge is handled LATER

Old lender will be clueless until they get the discharge AFTER the loan has been paid out

Very useful for some lenders !!

ta
    rolf

3. Lucky Lad

Lucky Lad Active Member

So once the old lender gets the paperwork from the new lender and see that the loan was credited to zero/positive balance, will they immediately close my loan account therefore not charge me soon-due annual fee?

It may be a minor thing but I want to avoid the loan account annual fee with old lender as much as possible. If there’s a delay I might have to pay it and beg for a refund. I could think of 3-5 pairs of shoes I can buy with the annual fee! :D

Jess Peletier likes this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

thats shouldbuy a pair of Jimmy choo........... heels - the heels that is not the shoes.

case by case I expect, make sure that any other products/services linked are shut asap - credit cards savings accts etc

ta
    rolf

Lucky Lad likes this.
  5. Lucky Lad

Lucky Lad Active Member

Thanks.

Or just think how many Tim Tams that will buy.

6. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

As mentioned, the loan is paid out plus a small excess. This excess is used for any interest adjustments for the days it takes to administer the refi until the actual payout. Be aware though, there will still be a discharge fee which will be taken from the excess funds. The actual amount depends on the outgoing lender.

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It’s all about the mortgage (as distinct from the loan)
    The new lender will normally want to liaise with the current lender about payout figures, organise a mutually agreeable settlement date and receive a discharge of mortgage before paying over the loan money discharging the loan. This will give the current lender ample time to ring the client and offer incentives to stay and/or to play delaying tactics such as claiming not to have received discharge forms (despite the client and broker fax, mailing and dropping it off 49 times).

With a fast refi what happens is the new lender simply pays out the existing lender based on their estimation of the amount owning. The payout of the loan is done without the incoming mortgage being registered (as would all actually) or receiving a discharge of mortgage. The mortgage would be in a registerable form and held by the income bank – an equitable mortgage if anything goes wrong – but it could not be registered until the old mortgage is discharged – actually it could be registered, but would be behind the current.

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

They might keep the loan open until the discharge of mortgage is received - and charge you the fee. But you could probably get this fee refunded.