Cars & Motorbikes Family car suggestions

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bob shovel, 30th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

True although if you buy new then you've got a warranty to take care of that.

2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Buying new is one of the worst financial decisions to make if you are into wealth creation (this will get flamed).

Only buy a 1 or 2 year old version with low km's....

Plus; most of these cars don't breakdown (in a significant way) until the warranty has finished.

We never see the new ones coming through our workshop - only the ones which have a few years and a few km's on them...OUCH.

Bang for buck - Hyundai.

Proven track record for reliability - Toyota.

bob shovel likes this.
  3. scienceman

scienceman Well-Known Member

He said his budget was <25K. Also the warranty on these models is not that generous at 3 years.

4. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Thought my hubby was the only one that did this! I won't tell him and continue to roll my eyes!

bob shovel and Barny like this.
  5. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

why not go with the merc C200 class 42K half year sale, put it on lease (pre-tax or salary sacrifice) 5 year free servicing. They even drop and pickup the car for you which is something i personally do not like doing.

i reckon next 10 years the "the great wall" will make inroads just like japs and koreans did decades ago. no wonder the car industry in vic is going bust.

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I was on a trip with a few people with 4WDs, it was a convoy situation. We went on a well maintained dirt road in dry weather in country NSW just 2 years ago.
    The near new Great Wall car suddenly flipped over and injured its occupants. I did not see why it flipped (we were too far back) but there was absolutely nothing wrong with the road. Now having seen so few Great Wall cars on the road, and never really seen this ever happen... I would never get one of those cars.

7. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

I do this too.....when driving my own car....just a plain jane Ford FG :D

Don't give a crap when I drive the Kia Carnival (wife's company car), I drive it like I stole it and park it the same ;)

bob shovel and Magnet like this.
  8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Can't go past the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorrento...both are well built and quality which leaves the Euro rubbish in the dirt.

The newer Kias come with a 7 year warranty...if it is guide the police in some Northern European countries use the Kia Sorrento as vehicles. Believe it or not ...the pricing of Kia is a lot higher there than here.....interesting isn't it.

Magnet likes this.
  9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

You used the word quality, in the same paragraph as Kia and Hyundai. Well built I'd say yes, great value for money for a price conscious consumer yes, bang for buck yes.
    Quality never.
    From now on I can no longer take any of your future posts seriously.

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

That's way over budget plus my pimp doesn't have any lease plans on our employment agreement :(

I need to look into these two. Saw the sorrento today and had a peak in thanks to my trusty coat hanger :p outside looks smaller than a kluger (+) and inside still looked roomy. Plus i believe some may come with the third row seats. ... just in case i get some friends to cruise around with:D

11. bob shovel

Haha no need for the fancy computer reverse parking when you very the guide dog with you!

12. bob shovel

I agree. I don't know if i could do it. Perhaps later on down the track but still it's a lot of money to lose.
    New kuger $48k
    Ex lease 2013 $22k-$26k, 80k-100k km

$20k is a some serious magic beans to throw away! I don't see how saving on servicing or repairs can make that back! I'm not worried about warranty, aren't they a proven scam nowadays? ?:cool: i assume me doing an oil change or man handling them in anyway voids every hope of getting something fixed

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Hmmm...you kidding right.......why would a 7 year warranty be offered...in some European countries they are highly regarded.

This is the issue with people...they still think that car companies don't improve....some do and exceed the quality of major brands.

14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I own a hyuandai, there's no quality. It's fantastic for the purpose it was built for. Cheap and practical with an amazing warranty.
    The Interior squeaks all the time, the plastics are cheap and hard, the window surrounds have paint pealing already and it's at 40,000km.

15. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

When I lived in the states, I was given a Hyundai Santa Fe to drive. Whilst it was reliable, it was a piece of **** in terms of quality, fit and finish. Personally i'd rather catch public transport than buy one of these cars.

My wife has an Audi SQ5. It demolishes any Asian SUV. For me all Asian cars are rubbish. But hey @sash , we're all entitled to our opinions and it's great that there is such a wide choice of vehicles to buy.

16. Bayview

I have had 2 Hyundais - a 1998 Excel, and a 2002 Accent - had the Excel for just under 200,000km's and it was completely fine - for an elcheapo car with no frills.

We had the accent until 2010, also elcheapo and no frills, and I sold that to one of our customers for his daughter - she still has it.

We get a lot of Hyundais through our workshop, and I can say with all honesty that most of them are pretty solid - which is for most people surprising because the perception is that they are cheap and nasty - they aren't. Their breakdown track record is quite good.

Yes; their fit out might not be the top end for quality, but you are also not paying $100k.

But mechanically, and features; pretty good.

Barny likes this.
  17. Bayview

It "suddenly flipped over"...all by itself.

18. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

We had a Kluger for a holiday rental with three kids. I was really impressed and if we didn't like our 200 series landcruiser so much it would be one to consider.

19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

It was a middle aged lady driving it with her 14yo intellectally disabled daughter and her mother (ie. Her daughter's grandmother) in the car, I really doubt she was intentionally trying to drive recklessly. The grandmother and daughter both had to have medical attention, the daughter for some head issue (maybe a cut) so she had it bandaged and the grandmother was taken away by ambulance for a back injury on a stretcher.
    I really really doubt this lady was intentionally trying to hurt her family....

Last edited: 1st Jun, 2016
  20. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

New cars can work. If you buy cheap (25kish) pay it off super-fast and keep it for 10+ years it can work out OK.

A 40k kluger is always going to be a losing proposition. Financially at least. Good cars though.....