Facebook Rental horror stories

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Tony Fleming, 29th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Anyone seen the Facebook page rental horror stories? A bunch of tenants whining about real estate agents and landlords. I'm sure there are bad landlords out there but some of the comments are hilarious. "my landlord tells me I'm sexy"(her profile picture begs to differ but that's off topic) "my air con broke and it took four days to fix" they really do think anyone with a property had it handed to them.

Barny, Xenia and WattleIdo like this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Oh dear. Whinge whinge whingggge
    :'(

Xenia likes this.
  3. Tony Fleming

I understand some landlords are terrible but terrible tenants would outweigh bad landlords!

Xenia and wylie like this.
  4. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

One of many reasons I deleted my facebook acct.

astinus4, Mr Dabolina and hobo like this.
  5. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a First World Problems thread recently in relation to the 4 day aircon fix that would have been more appropriate?

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not convinced this is actually true.

legallyblonde likes this.
  7. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Did you read this comment on there? Made me laugh.

my landlord takes most of my social services payment each fortnight. can this plz be acknowledged as a horror story too? yes we have mould and things that go unfixed and its too hot and too cold and cracks and everything, but the real horror story is the one that leaves me in poverty :( housing needs to be free. this situation in which private property owners makes money from those who don't own property has to come to an end. it places people in poverty, holds them there, makes them sick, sometimes kills people. surely this is the ultimate property horror story?

8. Gockie

I love to read a good piece of satire! :p :')

Barny likes this.
  9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

This one was funny too..

I lived in a house in east brunswick, everytime we had a complaint the owner would send around his elderly italian brother Moreno to fix it.
    Moreno would turn up in white overalls and let me know he had arrived by looking in the bathroom window and saying "hey chap" and engage me in a chat about the weather/football, at least twice I was showering when this occurred.
    And once when he came around to paint the house he decided to power hose the dirt off the concrete, then got bored halfway through, then wrote "Moreno" in the remaining concrete in perfect cursive.
    I miss Moreno.

gman65, legallyblonde and bob shovel like this.
  10. Gockie

Haha :p

11. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find this "sexy lady" for the last few minutes, but the only related one I've found is a long rant about a skeezy landlord (yeah, sure, that's a true story). I can't seem to open the profile of that user - and now I can't snoop on her profile :(

Surely this is the biggest rental horror story ever?

ww2_nut, gman65, Adele and 1 other person like this.
  12. Tony Fleming

Lol she had a man hair cut if that narrow downs your search.

13. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

These creatures need to be sterilised.

14. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Found this pearler!!!

I wonder if you had a good tenant paying his rent on time and looking after the property so that you can pay the negatively geared mortgage off will you then share with that tenant the capital gain made when you sell the property? After all apart from your initial deposit and any payments made by you I put it to you that your tenant will have serviced your mortgage for you, paid your rates, insurance and water. Is it right that you deny him a fair share of the capital gain?

[​IMG]

15. Tony Fleming

This is brilliant, what an Einstein

legallyblonde and Biz like this.
  16. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I had to close the page, it was doing my head in.

17. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother reading anything like that - it's all other people's perception of a certain situation and I find things like that boring.

I did have a tenant once that complained of s many maintenance issues - very dramatic like the house was falling down, we would send maintenance people over and she would refuse access. People that are addicted to their own drama don't like others trying to stop it, they want to keep it going otherwise there would be nothing to complain about if all problems were solved.

We then forced entry by sending her legal notice and I had all trades people there at the same time rectifying all the maintenance issues. The next day we got a 10 page email about how disgusted she was with the behaviour of our maintenance people (they did nothing wrong, just her perception), amongst the complains was that one of them used the toilet and used too much of her toilet paper.

Gave us a laugh.

She has since moved on to 2 other agents and has repeated exactly the same behaviour - drama then putting a stop to any action that will reduce the drama.

Some people just need to live in that space and attract the same circumstances over and over and it's best not to be associated with them.

MTR likes this.
  18. Gockie

Me too.

19. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Some of the responses raise good points, for example the ability for a landlord to ask a tenant to leave after just 1 year ("the lease"). This is absurd, it is their home, they have established roots in the area, jobs, schools, etc.. The renter should be allowed to stay for a minimum of 3-5 years, or more, if they want. Only in exceptional circumstances should they be required to vacate (not paying the rent is an exceptional circumstance). For example I have rented in Spain and Switzerland. I could leave with 3 months notice, but the owner cannot ask me to leave. Spain can after 3 years, Switzerland/Germany the owner needs a very good reason to require the tenant to vacate.

Also a problem with the proliferation of amateur landlord like you see in Australia and the UK there is a tendency to skimp on maintenance, unlike apartments that are maintained by larger entities.

Anyway, I think tenants have it a bit rough in Australia, less rights than in other western countries.

gman65 likes this.
  20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

With a three year lease (or the right to stay for three years) in Spain is there leeway for a landlord to increase the rent during the lease or are increases during the three years negotiated beforehand?