Facebook blocking news sharing

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Firefly99, 18th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Yep I take your point regarding people publicly sharing personal info.
    but you don't need someone's login details to see that stuff, so I'm still not sure how knowing someone's FB login could lead to identity theft as per my original comment on the thread.

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

You can set your privacy settings so that no one but your friends can see anything but your banner (name and a photo of your choice) ... you can even post stuff that only selected friends can see

Firefly99 and Lindsay_W like this.
  3. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

And how did this go when FB was hacked a couple years ago and Suckerberg never said anything until he was forced to?

4. Phar Lap

I dont understand how people can continue to use it after all the scams and breaches.
    Let alone the censoring, Crazy!

gman65 likes this.
  5. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Yep my privacy is set at the highest level, always has been.
    Presumably those people Peter mentioned did not have theirs set.

Still doesn't answer the 'how does someone steal your identity by login into your Facebook account' question. I don't believe they can really.

6. Phar Lap

So, you put your name, address, birthdate, name all you family and friends.
    FB gets hacked, BOOM!

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Don't have to use a "real" any of those ... only your email address must be real

Angel, wylie and Lindsay_W like this.
  8. Phar Lap

So you and your family & friends all have fake names?

gman65 likes this.
  9. Phar Lap

Sorry but I dont trust it (mostly him) at all.

10. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

You probably couldn't get enough info about a person from FB alone to do damange, but it could give you extra information to fill in certain gaps. Hacking isn't just about compromising computer systems. Most hacking is done via social engineering.

Many people use their kids DOB as a pin number or password. Between posts on your FB page of their birthday party and others suggesting their age, it's often not hard to figure out people's kids DOB.

In my previous example of my friend who's number and address are on FB because her son wrote a public post, what if she was hiding from an abusive ex?

gman65 and Lindsay_W like this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Some. Not all. Depends how paranoid they are and/or their line of business

12. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

The news back on FB. That didn’t last long.

13. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

facebook dont make money from advertising of gomens, they make money from advertising of peeps from 13 years old to 40 years old. This is their target market, the rest just fills the gap.

for anyone who fear facebook hacks,

the face you are here is a bigger risk than being on a site like facebook, if you know about how hacking or hacker actually works, they are so many leaks, they already have what they need, your data is already in the dark web waiting for someone to comb over it.

also most fraud happens internally.. go ask a cop or bank security department, they fear insiders 10x more than outsiders, this goes for IT, pharma, anything to do with IP,data,copyrights.

most fraud/hack happen because of a human error or crime from an insider.

and then there is such thing called encryption. and if you dont know how to create a strong password, being on forums like this it self is dangerous enough.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Good in theory ... but this one requires 6 lower case letters ... this one 8 lower ... this one 6 lower and a digit .... those one lower and upper case ... this one lower and upper and a digit ... this one upper and lower and digit and symbol ... this one ..

I don't have a exercise book big enough to write them all down in ... which kinda defeats the purpose of secret passwords

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I use the "strong password" generated by the site, and sync it to my phone. I'm hopeless at remembering passwords and used to use the same one for most things that were not important (like banking or government), but that was silly of me.

Please nobody tell me those self-generated "strong" passwords are not as safe as they should be (well... actually do tell me).

16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Use a password manager.

I use 1Password - I have a very strong password protecting my 1Password account, and then every other password I use is randomly generated.

I couldn't tell you what any of my website or social media passwords are - I don't know.

I wouldn't even bother trying to tell you what they are if I looked them up in my password manager - they are long and random and difficult to read out.

Phar Lap and Lindsay_W like this.
  17. KinG3o0o

there is no such thing as a "unbreakable" password, only how many days vs combinations, that is why capital letter and number dont really make that big of a difference if you have it or not, vs well "constructed" with symbols. hence random generated what are most powerful, because they are random. no pun intended

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean the random "strong" passwords that are generated on the websites I visit?

I spent a whole day this week changing every password on every site. I had no idea how many places I've used for online purchases, necessitating opening accounts. I used to use the same password for "unimportant" sites, but realise now that was silly.

Where possible I've used the website's own "strong" password. At times their own suggested password wouldn't work (then why offer it to me?). So I've chosen random strings of letters, symbols and put them into my iPhone notes, locked and accessible via me unlocking my phone.

If I ever lose my phone, then someone has to know my password to get in.

My plan is to now go in and try to cancel accounts where I've used them once, and unlikely to ever use again. I know that may not be easy.

Lizzie likes this.
  19. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

There was a discussion about this on Sydney radio about a week ago and people were ringing in and saying they were deleting their FB account and getting on to a few new ones that are starting up. One of the new ones is called, “Clubhouse “, which I don’t know anything about.

20. KinG3o0o

yeah, those that is randomly generated that your password manager/website generates are probably the most secure, but it doesnt mean they are impenetrable, just takes a lot longer

like our house locks, takes a normal person 3 minutes to break in with a cutter, but a lock smith can do it with their tool in 5 seconds and 100x less effort, then takes a super villian 10 minutes to break into a bank's vault,

that's why the military created encryption, as an extra level of security, but this is too much mumbo jumbo for every person to worry about.

so best practice is to use a different password for a different website like you are doing, so that even your Facebook is compromised, Instagram is still safe

wylie likes this.