Facebook blocking news sharing

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Firefly99, 18th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Exactly! And this is what Fb does. Anyway. I’m moving on from this topic... clearly I have too much time on my hands when I actually don’t as needed to start work.

2. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

And they do seem to be increasingly flexing their muscle, and i would argue work in tandem to some degree.

3. unicorntears

unicorntears Well-Known Member

Simon should pay 9 News for that link being shared on his platform. Only because it's one of 9 News, 7 News, or News Corp. If it were the ABC or an independent publisher, who cares? We should make this a law.

Ryan23 and inertia like this.
  4. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

Just like when a mega retailer forced us to pay 10% gst on all imported goods we bought online,

nothing new really,

20million people suffer for 10 people's gain,

aus government even wanted to built their own search engine at one point.

they have no idea what google does do they ?

unicorntears and inertia like this.
  5. unicorntears

Last edited: 19th Feb, 2021
    Ryan23 and Firefly99 like this.
  6. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Mechanisms already exist for content producers to protect their IP - there is no need for government intervention between 2 private corporations here.

7. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

Exactly right! And most the time it is the publisher who posted it on FB via their page in the first place (like the example of the chaser) and other user share the publishers post and the publisher get’s more clicks to their website. Publisher aren’t forced to post their links on Facebook and they don’t have to pay to do it either.

unicorntears likes this.
  8. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I must be dim, but am I missing something? its the newspapers etc themselves that are posting on Facebook, shouldn't they be paying Facebook for the space?... :eek:

Angel, datto, Firefly99 and 1 other person like this.
  9. KinG3o0o

they do, even when they dont pay for the ads to spread their news, just by attracting users on facebook or instagram, they are making money for facebook,

Ryan23 likes this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

11. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

datto and Lizzie like this.
  12. unicorntears

Is this a win/win for News Corp? Either they get paid for every link they spam on FB, or small independent publishers who rely heavily on FB traffic suffer (and disappear).

Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 9.43.01 am.png

Firefly99 and Ryan23 like this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

But is that in addition to my 4 cents per day?

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Frankly, since the ban there has been far less cr#p on my FB feed.

gman65, Lizzie and wylie like this.
  15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I don't want facebook "curating" my news feed i.e. telling me the stories I want to read. I go to ABC then News.com.au, to get both sides of the picture.

16. balwoges

Last couple of days my mailbox has been full of new apps for news ... :rolleyes:

17. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

What is Google News Showcase?

We believe that News Showcase is the right way to make payments to publishers under the Government’s proposed News Media Bargaining Code. It offers a way to support public interest journalism and help secure the future of the news industry without breaking Google Search. We're in discussions with publishers large and small and as we're looking to make Showcase available with more partners in Australia, we wanted to answer your top questions about this new program, how it's supporting publishers, and how it'd work under the News Media Bargaining Code:

News Showcase is a product and licensing program that benefits publishers and readers. Readers get more insight on the stories that matter to them with curated story panels across several Google services. Participating news publishers will increase their revenue through monthly payments from Google, including for access to paywalled content to provide users free access to select stories. On top of this, news publishers can grow their business through high-value traffic to their sites and deeper relationships with their audience.

18. balwoges

I love Facebook - why? there is a community facebook page for the area I live in, I know exactly what's going on in the area, ATM I can hear sirens down at the lakeside, I can guarantee someone will post why within 10 mins on facebook, it is Neighbourhood Watch on the internet.
    I also run a family history facebook page as do a lot of others allowing us to communicate with people with the same interests all over the world. Would you be surprised that the 'Lost Newcastle' facebook page has 56.8K members?
    Have never used facebook for news and dont post on my personal page and prevent others from any contact.

inertia and Lizzie like this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

20. KinG3o0o

you do know that now that facebook and google pays for the news means in next decade once these news agency get used to it means google and facebook goes from "owning" the news to actually Owning the news..

and now this amendment in the legislation means that the big boys get paid and as usually in corporate american sorry i mean corporate australia, small guys get the short end of the stick. and then they go bankrupt,absorb by the big boys either facebook or newscorp.

Brendon, Lizzie and Firefly99 like this.