Technology & Social Media Face Book

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 30th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Having a discussion with my daughter today about this subject, she is no longer on FB

She pointed out that though many enjoy this community she believes it does more harm than good? Don't know, not on FB

What do you think?

I expect good and bad aspects..... same as a property forum.... ? My experience in the main has been brilliant on SS/pc back to FB for comments

MTR

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Good news feed. Couldn't care less about what my friends are eating for dinner or pics of their kids or people I haven't seen for 5 years grand standing about the latest social issue.

The most active people on there are creating this filtered version of their life, trying to make out Like they have so much exciting stuff going on.

Ted Varrick, Bayview, Brian84 and 6 others like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What about the good stuff? People reuniting?

TerryN likes this.
  4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

What about all the A holes with an opinion who now have a pedestal to shout from?

MTR, Hedgy, skater and 2 others like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But don't you get an option to not be their friend?

6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

People commenting on stories you have no control over, can't block them all.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Right, so why are you on FB?

8. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

If you approach FB like you do real life, it's a great social tool.

What do I mean by that? Keep it real. Just have your close friends & family. Keep your FB account under tight control & it's perfectly fine. Use it as a narcissistic extension of self & others ..... and it will be trouble.

9. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I agree with your daughter. I removed myself from FB about 2 years ago and have no regrets. Now I'm not comparing my life to others, not feeling crap about myself and not having my opinions get me into trouble. I hate Facebook it's full of fakers, plus it's a waste of time

10. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Facebook would be a far better platform for some of the rubbish threads created here.

pinkboy

datto, Redwing, bob shovel and 6 others like this.
  11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Don't like it. Use it a lot though.

Only benefit is sharing kids stuff with family who otherwise don't see them that that often.

Tom Rivera, larrylarry and wylie like this.
  12. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Need it for business, as I said it's a good news feed too.

13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Great for keeping up with extended family and friends we don't see often due to geography.
    Just be careful with your privacy settings and choosy who you friend.
    Marg

ellejay and Perthguy like this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I never looked at it really (only joined to see my old dancing photos) until we headed overseas for two months recently. I felt like a right wally putting up photos and thought "everyone will think I'm showing off, waltzing all over the globe" until I realised that those who know me, know that is not what I'm like.

I wish now I'd tightened up my settings before I went so only family and close friends could see our travels, but I'm not too bothered. If the ones I don't see often saw all that and think I'm a wally, I can live with that.

I had some people who I first "friended" when I didn't really know what I was doing who I really don't care that much about, and certainly don't need to see what they had for breakfast today.

A few days ago I went in and changed my settings. I don't plan on unfriending anyone. But I've created a close group of people who I'm happy to see what I might post. I've stopped the feeds from those who I don't see in person from one year to the next.

I did go a bit crazy with posting stuff that I felt passionate about, thought was funny but that soon wore off, and my friends probably think "thank goodness" she's got that out of her system. :D

I enjoy seeing some of the stories, but they soon get a bit "same old, same old".

So, for me, it was good to let friends and family know where I was overseas and they saw photos so I didn't have to bore them silly when we got home.

The rest of it really is just a time waster for me.

Perthguy likes this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've connected again with some people I hadn't seen for over 40 years. That was good. It's great to get a small glimpse into what my daughters are doing, especially when they go travelling. FB phone is easier to connect than Skype- which has some very user unfriendly settings. And sometimes I like to post a photo I've taken which is especially good.

I don't block people on their views, unless all they do is to post other people's views. I find it interesting to see how people react to what's happening even if I don't agree with them, especially in other parts of the world.

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Another thing I'm told is that if you go searching for old friends (or old boyfriends) then it is likely that your page will pop into their feed as a suggestion from FB.

My friends told me that after I admitted I'd gone searching for someone who I was madly in love with when I was around 20. So, it could be that he knows I've gone looking for him. :eek::p

... and he looks like a bit of a wally these days, just sayin...

Bran likes this.
  17. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

My facebook is fantastic! :)

I am very, very strict about who I friend. It has to be people I know in real life. And if people post endless drivel, I unfollow (not unfriend) them. As a result, I only have excellent posts in my feed. Love it! :cool:

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

then it's useful as a marketing tool

19. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I get heaps of business from FB
    At least a 3-4 properties per month are listed off my page. Well worth having.

Lots of marriage proposals too but I can't take up those offers. Just the real estate listings.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Well worth having this exposure for business, the proposals could come in handy....LOL

Xenia likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia