Extremely mouldy grout bathrooms 14 year old house

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Propin, 29th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Qld - I've had the same tenants for 3.5 years and a couple of bad PM's. I resided at the property prior to leasing and there was never a mould issue in grout. Now the grout is extremely mouldy. Has anyone been able to permanently get rid of mould once it's been neglected for this long? I'm thinking it will need to be thoroughly scrubbed and re-grouted or sealed. Can the cost be passed onto tenants if it needs regrouting? Every inspection has shown it hasn't been cleaned since being occupied.

2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I'd talk to a professional tile cleaner/restorer first. They made a massive difference to my IP, the only mouldy bits that needed replacing when they were done were the stained sikaflex joints.

Cost of a professional clean should be put back to the tenants.

3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

How much did it cost? Sounds great.

4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

~100sq.m of flooring and 10sq.m of wall about $300 I think. That was in Perth about 5 years ago..

5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Bargain! I have hand scrubbed floors/walls and repainted grout in one shower after tenants didn't clean for two yrs and PM's were hopeless with reports and it was so time consuming!

6. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

How do you repaint the grout? I need to do that in my PPOR

7. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I used Masterline with a thin paintbrush and wiped excess off tile with a cloth - this looks like a similar but better product. Dunlop 250ml Ultra White Grout Paint

hash_investor likes this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Grout pens - cheap and easy fix :)

Propin likes this.
  9. 733

733 Well-Known Member

If the PM cited that there is mould in the shower for example during a routine inspection, what steps did the PM take to have the matter addressed? Did she/he return to monitor progress, purchase Exit Mould and show the tenants how it works as another option, or issue the tenants with a Notice to Remedy Breach highlighting what actions need to be undertaken to bring the shower mould matter under control - Entry condition report images can be drawn on to highlight and contrast the difference in the status of the shower when matters are not reasonable wear and tear...if the shower is never cleaned and mould builds up it becomes a health matter..give the current PM a call and ask for her/him to undertake some proactive actions to address the matter - if the matter is now at the stage of having it regrouted/sealed I recommend asking for action to ensure the matter does not escalate to a mould scenario again

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's how I would expect it to be treated also. I am now onto my third property management agency and probably about 12th property manager. Some of the PM's were on this forum/SS so I won't bother going into details but it's impossible to sort issues when the PM's quit every two months and owner of agency doesn't even turn up to inspection. Some seriously bad PM's out there that shouldn't be charging clients money.

dabbler and Perthguy like this.
  11. 733

733 Well-Known Member

Hi Propin

I am sorry to hear about your poor experience - sometimes agencies grow very quickly and whilst the Principal works to put all the systems and additional staff in place, some clientele seem to 'fall through the cracks' - as an owner of a boutique PM agency, every day is a learning experience for us - a huge learning for us is to manage our organic growth strategy closely to ensure our business does not grow too fast to continue managing client expectations and offering a quality service...this is very tough to achieve however, achievable provided one is prepared to grow at a calm and steady pace which comes with a cost (property management has a very thin profit margin hence you forfeit a good income for a long time when growing carefully and steadily)..just some personal reflections anyhow. I have learnt something else as well - every Principal we have met establishing their own agency whether it is independent or franchises, wants to offer a quality and ethically driven service - the huge demands of the PM business and managing stakeholder expectations challenges this every day

Propin likes this.
  12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

A very good idea to not take on more clients than you can handle. Non-compliant residences - smoke alarm, pool, safety, etc - would be horrible for all parties involved if an unfortunate tragedy occurred.