Extra exhaust fan required with Tastic?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by wobbycarly, 29th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

We are renovating our bathrooms. We currently have separate lights and exhaust fans, but want to put in Tastics (or equivalent). However, we are getting conflicting advice; some say that the Tastic isn't powerful enough to exhaust a room when a shower is in use (OK with a bath) and that we should also have a dedicated exhaust fan, while others suggest the Tastic IS good enough. Seems a bit of a waste to me to have both, but wondered if the brains trust had some advice/experience.

The rooms are generally well-ventilated, although the new guest ensuite we are building will have no windows, and will be fairly small, being a shower/toilet in one room, and the vanity in a separate alcove.

Thoughts?

Nemo likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have a four light tastic (or similar brand) and it is pretty powerful. Our son put a fancy looking sleek fan into his bathroom and said it is nowhere near as powerful as ours, and he wished he's stuck with "boring but works well" over "fancy, but hopeless".

After his experience, when we redid out bathroom a year or so ago, instead of going for "sleek" we stuck with the one we had (just cleaned it - because it does get very dusty and having an inbuilt grill, it needs cleaning occasionally).

wobbycarly likes this.
  3. wobbycarly

Thanks, Wylie. What model/brand is that you have? I guess if I just go for the one that sucks the most :D I will eliminate the need for an extra fan.

4. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

IXL Tastic 3 in 1 heater, fan, light. About $100 at Bunnings from memory.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Just because you asked nicely ;), I got up just now and walked to the bathroom. Ours is an IXL. I would check the volume that it pulls and compare it against the mercator and choose the better of the two.

The sleek and sexy one our son bought had no light, just a very sleek brushed silver slot style fan, but he said it was next to useless.

7. wobbycarly

I think we saw these at Beacon today, and the staff member pretty much told us they WERE useless! :rolleyes: Something about the steam "bouncing off them" - anyway, thanks everyone for your input. Appreciated.

We'll go for the suckiest.

Westminster likes this.
  8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member