Extending the rumpus a few meters

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jat, 13th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jat

Jat Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have a property in the blacktown area which has already an extension made (was done before I bought it)
    Unfortunately that extension is just 2.5 mtrs wide (2.5mts x 8 mts).
    The whole property including that extension is on piers, about 30 cms above the ground.

Ideally I'd like to extend that area a bit further towards the backyard so I can convert that area to something more useful (a living and a bedroom)

The roof of the extension is made of metal and it just get to 2.4 mts high where the exit door is. So as far as I know it may not be posible to extend that roof to the new section.

I'm not planning to add any kitchen or bathroom in that area so no need for wet areas or pipes.

Can anyone suggest what would be the easiest and more affordable way to extend that area just 2 meters more towards the backyard?

Can I reuse the existing structure or I'll have to remove it all and build it again?
    I'd appreciate any recommendations and if anyone can advise what may the steps I need to follow.

Attaching some pictures showing the current rumpus.
    Thanks!!

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What about making it kitchen and living - linked to the yard?

Lacrim likes this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The roof looks dodgy.

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I don't know what that back room adjoins but what about just knocking out the wall with the windows and match the flooring? It will be load bearing I'd imagine so LVLs needed.

As for extending it...I reckon you won't save anything by trying to tack on another 2 metres to the back. Better off just using the back area as a breezeway/deck and build a contemporary, rectangular, standalone, new 4x6 or 4x8 extension away from it. Be much simpler than integrating it all and pretty cost effective if it doesn't have any wet areas.

That's if this is a PPOR. If its an IP, don't bother.

Inspo below.

breezeway 10.jpg

Last edited: 13th Nov, 2020
    craigc likes this.