NSW Experienced(ish) investor meetup

Discussion in 'Networking & Meetups' started by spludgey, 21st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I saw the under 30s meetup and thought initially that it was a little bit of a silly idea, but upon further reflection, I now think that there's some merit to only meeting with a select group.

So I was thinking if there would be any interest of a meeting that was exclusively for investors that were experienced? The exact definition can obviously be discussed, but I thought maybe 3 IPs and 3 years experience would be a good minimum.

Now I've got nothing against talking to newbies, but it seems that whenever I go to an event, the vast majority of people seem to either have no investment properties or just one or two. So often the flow of information is predominately from me to the other person and not all the bidirectional.

It might have to do with me as well, as I'm not a real people person, so I'd rather speak to a few people for a longer time rather than being a social butterfly and talking to everyone for a little while. But perhaps some others feel the same way that I am.

So, good or bad idea?

bob shovel and Chilliblue like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a bad idea (I'm outside the definition by the way)
    But do think that for more experienced investor, maybe a specific theme of conversation would work better, especially if you're not the type who talk to 4-5 people at a time?
    E.g. Experienced investors meeting - topic is development.

spludgey and Gockie like this.
  3. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Await the hate mail.. :D Apparently there's a few touchy members that don't like the segregation.

MJS1034 and spludgey like this.
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Care to put a screenshot with username and avatar blacked out?:rolleyes:

5. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Think you need a better definition. I sneak in and should in no way be classed as experienced.

I am interested to hear where experienced investors with a decade of experience and 7 figured plus equity find new information and how to take the next step

6. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

That's basically what the forum is for.
    I wonder if there's going to be more interviews like on Somersoft where the gun investors share their story.
    And, there's no single way to do it, almost everybody's story was different somehow.

7. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

The interviews are one of the best starting points for newbies (or anyone for that matter).

dan_89 likes this.
  8. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

In my view, this may be the issue.

@MsAli and I went to the Sydney meetup at Wenty Leagues last week, graciously organised by @skater .

We had a great time - it was a diverse group of people - from those starting out to those who are very experienced, and broad range of experiences too. It is really up to you to talk to those more experienced and learn from them, as well as share your experiences with those starting out.

EN710, Funnymoney, Mumbai and 3 others like this.
  9. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I've never been a mingler and I never will be, it's just not in my nature.
    It's the same with social events, I'd rather have a table full of friends than lots of mates all at the same time.

I'm not saying having big inclusive events is bad in any way, far from it! But for me it's just not the most effective way of connecting with people.

wylie likes this.
  10. Property Twins

Each to their own.

The alternative may be getting to know like minded investors overtime, and building those relationships.

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I wouldn't make the invite list but can appreciate the idea behind it. I see nothing wrong with the idea. I to prefer the smaller groups.

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2015
  12. Property Twins

Recently went to a training on diversity. We learn and grow the most working/talking to people who are different to us (and they may be more or less experienced)..... That's what we loved about the one @skater organised.

Good luck though..with this one. May be some may prefer this.

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just call me Groucho. I won't join any club which'd have me as a member ;)

Humphrey, ellejay and Property Twins like this.
  14. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Spludgey I admit I'm not much of a social butterfly either. Apart from leaving my seat to get my meal, I didn't move at all until we were told to leave the bistro. Even if I was the mingler type there's still no way I'd have met all 60 at the club the other night.

While there is a place for smaller meets for those who feel they need motivation from those who've done a lot in property, don't underestimate the newbies or less experienced. I learned quite a lot from those I spoke to early in the night with less experience but lots of initiative taking to councils and town planners and the results from that. Sometimes you need to go back to grass roots or differ your strategy to grow and these chats have made me think differently on a few things/areas to invest.

Property Twins likes this.
  15. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Yeah, sometimes the more experienced who are just cruising can pick up some renewed energy and enthusiasm from those just starting who are ready to give it their all to succeed.

16. Property Twins

I guess, I'd be keen to know the definition of "experienced-ish"

RetireRich101 likes this.
  17. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    From my experience speaking with the less experienced keeps the more experienced investor sharp.

Its a win/win scenario.

Keeps the knowledge in the conscious part of the brain in order to pass it onto others,instead of just being in autopilot mode implementing it yourself where complacency may come into play.

There is also a saying that suggests you don't really know a subject inside out until such time as you can communicate it onto someone else in such a way so as they too are able to acquire the same level of understanding.

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2015
  18. serendip

serendip Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about interviews this morning. Love reading them, hope the tradition does continue

19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

If we all thought like that, then those with more than three might feel put off by those who only have a paltry three IPs.o_O

I'm not exactly a social butterfly, but I try my best. There is no way to talk to everyone in a meeting that large, but there will always be a few people that you have a raport with and most people are very friendly and easy to talk to.

That used to be me too! Although I do like meeting people it's usually a struggle for me to approach others, but I'm fine when they approach me. I'm working on it, but I'm far from as social as I'd like to be. I am actually a very shy person in real life.

Absolutely! Sometimes the newbies have boundless energy and are really hungry to get out there and 'do it'.

There are several young investors that I've met that have only been in 'the game' for a few years and they are so inspirational that they make me jealous. I might have a bigger portfolio and much larger equity, but I'm at the end of my game while they are on the upswing, and I can see the success that is coming their way will be much greater than my own.

20. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

This is so true, for me too.
    I haven't bought for a while and am a bit disappointed with myself for "settling". Meeting those just starting out is quite inspirational.
    I can see the merit in smaller more experienced groups too. But limiting yourself to them might be detrimental. There are a few "newby's" that became experienced, also holding more than 3 properties in the space of a few months.
    Spludgey, you are not alone with not being comfortable with big groups. You'll find a lot in that camp. I'm nervous meeting new people but you need to push your boundaries if you want to get where you want to go.

ellejay likes this.