Experience with Builder

Discussion in 'Development' started by LivinginMel, 17th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LivinginMel

LivinginMel Member

Hi all

I am first time developer. Our project (2 units) is ready and I believe Cert of Occupancy is already with builder. Builder had sent a final invoice and has verbally told that he has received certificate. I arranged a pvt inspector to check for the units before handover. There are many small issues from broken roof tile to poor paint work etc.

I sent the report to builder to fix the issues. However, I have been told verbally that it will delay the repair work as trade people will take time to be arranged. It is already 5 days and builder has not done any thing. Can a Builder delay the things? Do I have any rights to expediate the repair work since cert of occupancy is issued? Builder has already put electricity meter at a different place than the place mentioned in plans and has advised me that energy company wanted it that way.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Have you made the final payment to the builder?

3. LivinginMel

LivinginMel Member

Not yet. I am rather feeling that I should get the defects get inspected again after rectification. My inspector verbally told that he felt that the painting job is done by unregistered painter. The builder is trying to use my emotions to get in house but I have gut feel that if he is not fixing things now, he wont do it in next 6 months.

4. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Does painter need to be registered? I thought only electrician, plumber & builder need to have a license?

LivinginMel likes this.
  5. LivinginMel

LivinginMel Member

The guy who inspected has put it in writing in his report. Even I was surprised. I checked and found that painters are licensed. In fact there is Master Painters Victoria which says that painter should be licensed.

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  6. LivinginMel

LivinginMel Member

Legally licensing is not required but this association recommends people who are licensed.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Most trades for domestic building work are required to be licensed. The builder's licence does not cover these trades.

Trades like plumbing,draining, gas fitting, electrical and air conditioning installers are all regulated.

LivinginMel, Sackie and Ouchmyknees like this.
  8. LivinginMel

LivinginMel Member

I
    I have been given in writing that only Plumbers and electricians need to be licensed. I have got certificates front plumber and electrician and will check the work handled by them. It was a learning curve for me.

9. Ros

Ros Active Member

How significant are the defects? In my experience minor issues don’t usually give you rights to delay payment. Your contract will also (or should) tell you what is supposed to happen with the final payment process. If they are pretty big defects why hasn’t your building surveyor picked it up? Have you contacted them to discuss? Maybe get legal advice and/or call consumer affairs for advice

LivinginMel likes this.
  10. LivinginMel

LivinginMel Member

We had surveyor report and builder has agreed to fix. Some have been already fixed and rest are being addressed.