Exercising - how do you keep up?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willister, 10th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

I think most people know that a mcdonalds burger has much higher calories than a salad.

I say this about myfitnesspal from personal experience, I ended up weighing everything to the gram, always worried if I'd eaten over my set calories, wondering if the calories for a particular item shown on the app are correct or erroneously input by other users, When I'd go out I'd worry if I ate something over my calorie limit. HECK I EVEN CARRIED MY WEIGHING SCALE OUT WITH ME AND WEIGHED MY CRISPS.

It's not longterm sustainable.

2. AndyPandy

@Codie how long have you been using it?

3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Not the salads I used to have! Haha. Almonds, avocado, feta, a sauce, olives etc before ya know it’s 1000cal in a bowl. I still fit a big Mac once a week into my macros. Actually anything including alcohol I just roughly tracked it for a couple of months until I knew what had what in it. I don’t use it anymore as I don’t have to, I roughly know what’s in each thing I regularly eat now.

I agree what you were doing doesn’t sound healthy, and if someone was obsessed over it than prob not a good idea.

4. AndyPandy

Just watch and follow what Coach Greg says. HARDER THAN LAST TIME!

5. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Really? I would say many people with the best intentions and actions who still struggle to achieve thier goals might benefit from some awareness of where their calorie intake is coming from.

I've always considered myself reasonably aware of healthy eating, but even I was surprised to see where beneficial changes could be made.

You dont have to count any calories if you dont want to, just scan the barcode of what your eating at observe the summary at the end of the day, after some days note the trends and act accordingly.

Everybody thinks a salad has less calories than a burger, but all is not created equal and this what leads to people becoming disenfranchised at thier progress.

Use it to invoke paranoia and obsession by all means, however I would instead suggest using it to raise awareness of your habits... good and bad.

Last edited: 11th Feb, 2021
    Toon and Codie like this.
  6. chi.lam

chi.lam Well-Known Member

I find incorporating regular exercise into your lifestyle is the best approach. Ultimately, regular exercise should be a lifelong thing, not something to do for a year and then stop. So schedule it into your day for every week. Have time blocked off for it.

For motivation, if you're not doing an exercise that you naturally love and will do enthusiastically (eg sport), then hire a personal trainer. I know they're pricey but what's your health worth? Your money is worthless if you're unhealthy/always sick/not mobile etc. Spending money on your health and fitness will only make your life more enjoyable.

The other thing is diet. Don't need any fancy crash diets but just eat healthy. Another bonus of regular exercise is that you can be naughty sometimes and eat a little bit of junk and not feel bad.

Personally I've always played touch footy and basketball regularly in my 20s and 30s. Now in my early 40s I started doing Yoga 3 times a week and weights with a personal trainer 2 times a week. Highly recommend Yoga and weights as you start to get older.

Anne11 and Sackie like this.
  7. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

I have played football, cricket and lifted a few weights over the years but at 65 it is getting tougher to maintain routine. Motivation is all important. My 2 takeaways for this forum are:
    1. control your diet
    2. 30-45 minutes on a stationary exercise bike or road bike

The above will keep you not only fit but take that 5-10 k off that you desire. It works and is very simple. Get in the garden and muck around and play some golf......cheers

gman65 and Anne11 like this.
  8. Bon_E

Bon_E Well-Known Member

One word... crossfit. I'd never been into weightlifting or really an exercise at all but there happened to be a crossfit gym in the small town where I was working at and I did one trial class. 4 years later and the rest is history. I can't stress enough that with crossfit it's not just a gym it's a community, and that aspect of it is extremely motivational and makes me about 150% more likely to show up at the gym than if I was just doing my own thing. I've subsequently moved a few times and have been to a couple more crossfit gyms and had similarly great experiences there.

Also to note... at that first gym I was the youngest person there at age 31. Mostly it was men and ladies 45+ and my god they were all strong and fit! The oldest person I saw there was in her 70's. The beauty of crossfit is that it can be scaled into easier movements depending on your fitness level. Highly recommend giving it a go if you're up for something new.

Redwing likes this.
  9. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Didn't even know that existed! Shame I don't have a Switch.
    Is there only the one fitness game?

10. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Habit and routine, no more no less. Let inertia do it's thing.

Just like some people go home after work and pour a glass of wine(not criticism), you can go home and go for a run or do whatever form of exercise that you like. No thinking, just doing.

Obviously it would be useless if you don't look after what you eat and some people find that fit bits and the like help them so do whatever you need to get things going (motivation part helps here) and transform that into a routine(Inertia part takes over).

Sooner rather than later, you will find it impossible to stop as you yourself will change and become that person that exercises. Simply put, Thought => action => habit => character

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I am a type 2 diabetic, and got diagnosed a few decades ago when I weighed about 120kg (about 180cm tall).

It's great if you have a test unit - I use it to test every day (ok, ok sometime 3 times a day), and use it as the motivator if I need to get my butt into gear and do something, but more importantly to figure out what I can eat (avoiding a long drawn out painful death is a pretty good motivator).

Over the years, I've figured out eating refrigerated basmati and potato is ok, but pasta is no go, etc etc.

I'm just under 80kg now (been that way for a quite a while).

I don't do much exercise these days - used to play badminton, but did some pretty serious damage to my knee, so gave it up. The garden is pretty good for working out though - a chain saw is a great way to test your muscles out :D. I have taken to standing most of the day - it seems to help heaps (I am standing now as I type).

It's funny though - my neighbour is this real fit looking bloke - out walking his dog everyday, etc etc - and he had a heart attack not long ago o_O

Take care.

The Y-man

Firefly99 likes this.
  12. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

As soon I get out of bed I walk.
    Then some kegels along with some eyes/hand coordination skill exercises.
    Then Bicept curls with a light weight that diminuishes each rep.The last 2 exercises are done 3-4 times a day.

The mediterranean diet is a must.
    Pasta, Llasagna, Ravioli, Salami, Prosciutto, Chilli, Butter,Olive Oil, Cannoli, Amaretti,black coffee.

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Does sleepwalking count? :D

The Y-man

14. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Of course. And often short night walks.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

its 80% what you eat, 20% exercise

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member