Exclusive vs Open Agreement

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by GreenTreeFrog, 14th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GreenTreeFrog

GreenTreeFrog Well-Known Member

An agent has approached me with an offer on a property and would like to enter an exclusive agreement for 3 months. I would prefer an open agreement.

The property is a small acreage rezoned for shopping centre and apartments. I have had contact directly with developers interested in the property. I am also in an open agreement with another agent.

What are the pros and cons of entering into an exclusive agreement? Are there any benefits to me?

The agent is advising me it is in my best interest to channel all purchasers through one strong negotiator.

2. just_some_guy_89

just_some_guy_89 Active Member

Sounds like the only thing the agent is trying to channel is the commission...

wylie likes this.
  3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

It is annoying that agents insist on exclusive. They virtually promise to put no effort in unless it's exclusive....

Nothing wrong with open listing in a sellers market is there? Not like agents have to do much to get stuff sold.

Opinion only. Cynical opinion if I am honest.

4. GreenTreeFrog

GreenTreeFrog Well-Known Member

I'm thinking all the same things...

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Whatever you decide, make sure that the developers that you've already had contact with are exempt from the agreement.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We always insist on a sole agency agreement. This protects the agent from our listing with another agent, but also protects us in the event that circumstances change or we sell to a friend/relative.

First agreement is only ever for 6 weeks. This gives the agent time to prove their worth and can be extended.

Unless you have prior knowledge, don’t lock yourself in for 3 months, a long time to languish with a ineffective agent, particularly as markets can move quickly.

skater likes this.