ETF Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) 2021

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Redwing, 2nd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Had a think. STW reports estimated distribution about a week before Vanguard. So maybe look out for that, review what STW and VAS paid in the previous corresponding quarter then do some guesstimate percentages.

2. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

thanks, might try that to see. VAS all over the place last 3 january distributions, 1.2 to 40c

3. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Wrong thread but AUI solid as a rock, more stable than chicken breast! Just saying!

sharon, monk, Dsign and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

haha its for someone else new to this, there already excited about dividends

5. SatayKing

STW paid $0.382 in January 2021. VAS paid $0.434. Approximately 14% more. So if/when you see STW report soon (probably this week) add 14% and it may give you a ball park figure.

You could go back a few years and have a look at various other periods and see if somewhere around that percentage applies.

As for me, I'm simply going to wait as I have finally learned to do now. Wishing, wanting and wondering will not change the figure in the slightest.

PKFFW and Dsign like this.
  6. Dsign

Dsign Well-Known Member

haha thanks, yes this is definately in the too hard basket

7. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

STW estimate for Jan 2022 46.5772 cents. About 22% increase. See here

VAS may pay around 53 cents if we keep the same percentage gain.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

Redwing, SatayKing and monk like this.
  8. azabob79

azabob79 New Member

Hi All,

First time poster here. I actually discovered this forum as we were looking to buy our first investment property, however since to further research we don't think we are up for the initial cash outlay and then ongoing costs.

What we have decided to do is to continue to build on our share portfolio by investing often and regularly and this forum has definitely helped re-enforce this decision! So thank you for all the posters who share their knowledge and experiences so freely.

Our current mix is fairly stock standard and contains AFI, VAS and VGS. From here on in we will be focusing on VAS and VGS.

For regular market watches and who have been in the EFT game for a while, typically what does the share price do around dividend distribution time?

Should I try and avoid buying around this time or am I over thinking this?

Thank you!

Mws and Anne11 like this.
  9. Isla_Nublar

Isla_Nublar Well-Known Member

Generally drops by the amount of the distribution, however, given ETFs are priced on a minute by minute basis, you may not notice it as much. Eg, the distribution is 0.5%, the market goes up 1%, therefore the ETF price will go up by 0.5%, although market goes down by 1%, then ETF goes down by 1.5%. I buy shares on payday (around 15th) each month with what money we can afford to use - when distributions are declared or paid is irrelevant in my decision making process (note the use of my decision making process, could very well be different for others)

Islay, oracle, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  10. SatayKing

And if you don't bother looking then you wont even know. The temptation to peek is always there though.

azabob79 likes this.
  11. azabob79

azabob79 New Member

Thank you @Isla_Nublar and @SatayKing for your views, basically I took your replies to say block out the white noise and stay the course.

Which is what I did and purchased a parcel of VAS last Thursday. Next parcel will be VGS just after payday in January and then every second month.

I've spent a lot of time on the various threads researching portfolio mix, number of holdings and reading other posters journeys who are starting out with a few grand or posters who have $1 million + to invest.

As we are in the accumulation phase and don't have a lump sum to invest we will continue to focus on VAS and VGS for the next 1-2 years and then look to potentially diversify into emerging markets and small caps.

Next topic I am going to research is DRP and do I continue to reinvest the dividend or not.

This forum is truly a remarkable place with the sharing of knowledge and debate.

2022 here we come...

sharon, SatayKing, KayTea and 5 others like this.
  12. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

VAS 69.65c per unit
    VGS 43.15c per unit

PKFFW, Anne11, oracle and 2 others like this.
  13. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

upload_2021-12-29_11-38-37.png
    upload_2021-12-29_11-39-23.png

Attached Files:

number 5, PKFFW and Anne11 like this.
  14. melbinv82

melbinv82 Well-Known Member

I mostly invest in vdhg.

Planning to refi my investment property in the next 3-4 months.

Intending to split loan, borrow 100k to invest in vdhg and intending to keep it long term.

For those who used equity towards etfs, what's the best strategy?

{Note from mods: this thread continued in thread Exchange Trade Funds (ETFs) 2022}

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Jan, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.