ETF Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) 2019

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Redwing, 10th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

The essential purpose of a cash buffer is................so you don't go bankrupt.

The task for the rest of the month is to define "cash buffer" and stipulate what it should cover for how long.

And more than likely each individual household will have different definitions. So as our particular view is the right one they must all be correct. :D

Zenith Chaos and DoggaPP like this.
  2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Pfft, much to rational for my behaviour!

Zenith Chaos and Greedo like this.
  3. TazDevil_666

TazDevil_666 Well-Known Member

$82.08 for me Greedo, so you win ;). Back over $83 today hmmm maybe time to sell...

Greedo likes this.
  4. MarkW

MarkW Well-Known Member

I bought that day for $82.34. But I'd put the order in the night before for $83.40 so I wasn't too disappointed.

Greedo likes this.
  5. Greedo

Greedo Well-Known Member

Haha! Keep plugging away Taz :)

TazDevil_666 likes this.
  6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Hey guys

Apologies in advance if this is a silly/basic question.

I simply want to build a share portfolio over a 10 - 15 year timeframe with the eventual goal to generate some income from dividends. I put money into shares each month.

I'm trying to come up with a reason for not putting all my cash into VDHG.

I'm a fairly passive investor - I like to check selfwealth from time to time but I'm not overly interested in trading, etc.

VDHG seems to have a very broad exposure of AUS/US/Global markets given that there's 7 EFT's within it.

My investment timeframe isn't too short (I could stretch it out for longer if need be) - so the high growth fund should do ok (fingers crossed!).

There's just sooooo much info about what to buy, how to balance your portfolio, etc - but to me it seems that VDHG does all of that for me. I know the management fee is on the high side - but I can't think of any other reason to buy anything else.....unless I've missed something completely!

Cheers

Jamie

Froxy likes this.
  7. Kelly88

Kelly88 Well-Known Member

I do wonder about VDHG also. @Nodrog recommended VDHG before instead of VAS and VGS.

number 5 likes this.
  8. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

I think it’s a perfectly fine option all the reasons you’ve stated. A set and forget portfolio all in one :)

Doesn’t satisfy the urge to tinker for many of us... which is a nasty habit :D

DoggaPP, Froxy and number 5 like this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It does state that it's designed for investors with a high tolerance to risk. You need to be satisfied that that's for you.

You will have a lot invested in one sector, even though the spread of investments is broad. Presumably you have some sort of real estate investments already - otherwise possible a REIT might balance things out.

10. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

If you guys know option you can buy ETF that has options over it and you write put and call all year round for extra income

11. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

It's risk as defined by academics, some people handle volatility better than others.

You will have money invested in every sector world wide at market weightings per AA of each underlying ETF (from memory). Can't really be less concentrated by sector or any other definition I can think of other than provider.

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Risk is real. The phrase I used is from Vanguard's description of its own product. The ASX, as well as many markets worldwide, took a huge dive between 2007 and 2009 (50% for the ASX) along with big dives in the US and UK, and probably many others. The ASX is only just now back above its 2007 peak.

While it covers a lot of sectors worldwide, it only covers real estate insofar as a real estate fund is included in the underlying index. In the event of a stock exchange crash occurring again, there's not much backup. An investment in Australian real estate alongside shares would have provided good growth over declined in just one sector in recent years.

I'm older, I don't have 12 years to wait for a recovery in the event of a crash. I have shares, I have tried to balance that - not just geographically, but in different sectors. While that limits my upside, it also limits my downside.

Younger people like Jamie will have a much higher risk tolerance.

13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Mostly for behavioural reasons which is a big deal when it comes to staying the course.

Fees a little higher, and less tax effective compared to say VAS and VGS especially if outside Super.

DoggaPP and number 5 like this.
  14. jasy2512

jasy2512 Member

Hi @Nodrog , could you please explain why it is less tax effective? Thanks.

number 5 and Jamie Moore like this.
  15. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Cheers Geoff - yep mostly property at the moment so looking to mix it up a bit

DoggaPP and geoffw like this.
  16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Fund rebalancing (capital gains), interest from bonds, currency hedging (interest, capital gains).

DoggaPP and Ouga like this.
  17. jasy2512

jasy2512 Member

Cheers Nodrog.

18. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I was (trying) pointing out that the definition of risk widely used isn't appropriate in all situations and for all investors IMO. A term deposit is regarded as low risk, yet current returns (especially after tax) trail inflation so a small loss is guaranteed in anything other than the short term I see this as high risk. The erosion of purchasing power over time is an under appreciated risk.
    Of course one needs to consider one's own tolerances, it's just these one dimensional views of risk aren't overly helpful IMO.

The ASX accumulation (inclusive of dividends) recovered by 2013 - four years after the 2009 low, or six after the peak.

Froxy, EN710, oracle and 1 other person like this.
  19. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Speaking of risk I read, listen, aim to challenge my existing views continually by seeking out as many views to the contrary as I can find but I’m still of the view that if one can achieve it the dividend component of a well diversified portfolio is one of the least risky ways to create retirement income.

Investing in a Negative Interest Rate World - A Wealth of Common Sense

sharon, Burgs, Anne11 and 4 others like this.
  20. APINDEX

APINDEX Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has been raised before (Sure it probably has searched and could not find it...)

Been reading Bill Bernstein's excellent book Four Pillars and seems like Jack he is not a huge fan on ETF's compared to traditional manged funds.
    in his postscript he states the below the other 3 reasons are not as important but am curious on the fees/spread/brokerage issue.

I understand at some point would be like splitting hairs but given brokerage can be very cheap nowadays and the gap between the fees is not that much but would you lose that much overall on the spread I guess would also depend on how often you bought and parcel size..?

The criticism most frequently leveled at this book’s original
    printing was the short shrift given ETFs. Indeed, since
    the book was first published in 2002, the popularity of
    these vehicles has grown to the point where they are
    seriously challenging more traditional “open-end” mutual
    funds. Nonetheless, I remain dubious; there is nothing
    really wrong with ETFs, but I continue to believe that
    most investors are better off with the older open-end fund
    format. I do so for four reasons. First, the commissions
    and spread costs incurred by trading ETFs quickly eat up
    their minuscule expense advantage

Thread Status: