Everyday bank account - best one with online access, features?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Lawry, 17th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Which everyday bank account

1. CBA

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. Westpac

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. NAB

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. ANZ

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Credit Union

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. Macquarie

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. BoQ

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. ME Bank

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Bendigo & Adelaide

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  10. Other

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Lawry

Lawry Member

Hi, interested in everyone's recent experience with everyday bank accounts, especially which ones have the most user-friendly and feature-rich online banking and mobile apps, preferably with low/ no fees e.g. if salary is paid in. Which bank and why?

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

There's not a lot of difference between them. Some have better mobile apps, but I haven't seen one that can't be made to do everything people need on a day-to-day basis. The best one is the one that offsets your non-deductible debt.

3. miximitosis

miximitosis Well-Known Member

Personally, I love CBA's interface (app and online banking) after experiencing ANZ, NAB, Westpac, ING, Citibank and Suncorp.

As Pete mentioned though, stick with whatever is going to be best for your financial position. ING's everyday account is great if you have no debt to offset though. No account fees if you deposit $1,000/month, all ATM fees refunded and can earn 3.00% with an attached savings maximiser.

*Not advice*

4. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I have banked with all the big4 except NAB and also used Bankwest.
    CBA streak the pack IMO.

Jimmy D likes this.
  5. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I was going to say the exact opposite, CBA's passwords aren't case sensitive, meaning that a standard eight digit password (letters and numbers only) is 208827064576 times easier to crack!

6. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    ANZ and CBA are excellent. I use both daily and they are both great. NAB is OK. STG is OK. Macquarie's net and app tech are also excellent

Cant speak about Westpac.

7. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

CBA's onling banking takes the cake, easily. Everything else is a level lower in terms of innovations, features etc.

8. Drgonzo

Drgonzo Well-Known Member

I bank with westpac (apart from one loan with Macquarie) and can't fault them.

Having said that I've just opened an ING orange everday account to take advantage of the ability to use any ATM in Australia for free.

As for features it's just a transaction account what do you really need?

9. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

+1 for ING Orange Everyday.

The No ATM fee proposition has been amazing for me. I have not had to worry when I run out of cash in the pub, or a gelato shop or anywhere basically because wherever there was an ATM, I could get my money out for free.

Downside is when I make large purchases, I'm capped at withdrawing $2200 a day. So buying a car last year was a bit difficult, but with NPP launching in July 2017 (where you can make instant payments between bank accounts of different banks) I doubt this be an issue anymore. You'd just transfer money straight into the seller's bank account and once it shows in his account (<1 minute) you'd drive away with your new car.

They currently have a referral program going on where the referrer + referee both get $100 (targeted) for opening an Orange Everyday Bank account.

I am one of the lucky ones who was targeted for this offer so PM me if you'd like a referral code to net $100 on top of opening the bank account you were most likely going to open anyway.

10. albanga

Hmmm can't say this would be a concern for anyone. Just don't make your password Password1 and I think hi will be right.

You need an unique ID and a password so pretty sure a hacker wouldn't get far.

11. spludgey

You say this, but there a plenty of brute force attacks around all the time and if hackers got wind of this, then they would surely focus on CBA more than any other banks. As I said, for an eight letter/key password is 209 billion times harder to crack if it's case sensitive.

So if all other things are pretty much equal, this would definitely make a difference for me.

12. albanga

If by some miracle a hacker got into your account and stole money which is the absolute longest of shots regardless if it's 209 billion times (the odds of someone getting your ID and then getting the password before lock out from the banks is probably 1trillion to one so not sure an extra 209 billion matters).

But OK assuming they did. You don't think the banks would have your money back to you within the week??

13. spludgey

You're probably right and it's probably fine, however doing something as idiotic as that does not inspire me with confidence to trust the rest of their system. It's quite possibly unwarranted, but for me it does make me much less likely to use a CBA account.

Each to their own though.

albanga likes this.
  14. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they'd have the money back to you within the week. The last time this happened to me it was "21 business days".

15. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

CBAs online banking is incredible

16. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

CBA.

Multiple offsets per individual loan makes a difference.

ANZ is also very handy, but one offset per package is major drawback, especially if its the hub bank for most of your investing.

Westpac and NAB are clunkier than both. Macq is decent.

17. albanga

I know it's purely location based as well but I have always found CBA's branch banking to be far superior to the rest.
    Least amount of waiting with the most amount of knowledge.

I'm based in Melbourne CBD and the two major ANZ branches are hopeless!! You should have seen them when I bought in a 173 agreement to be signed. It was literally like I had bought in an executive order to drop a nuke.

18. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Given a standalone product by itself, I will probably would use ING.

No requirement for no monthly fee, minimum $1000 for free ATM and bonus interest in the attached savings.

Given the existing loan and other facilities, CBA takes the cake. Probably one of the best online banking platform I have seen so far.

19. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

It's been said plenty but CBA are in their own league.

20. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I'm bias... CBA :D