Every business has gone into hibernation

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by maroon, 28th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

They don't wanna bite off more than they can chew. They deserve to be crowned for their efforts.

skater likes this.
  2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

In the case of Bunnings, those stores are simply huge. Plenty of space for a lot of employees to be working, and no excuse for click & collect to take eight days. On the otherhand, a friend booked at a Pet Supply place & they had it ready in half an hour.

3. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Depends on the company really. I've had nothing but good experiences with my real estate agents and them working through lockdown. Even in the high risk LGA's they have been fantasic.

Bunnings/Officeworks I don't care. Most likely due to young/kids staff that don't care either. They are getting paid to do minimal work with no customers.

To be honest I don't actually know a single person struggling financially either. Not a single person has asked for any assistance, rental relief or none of my friends and family are complaining or mentioning anything either.

They are all doing online shopping and buying things they dont actually need. LOL. The only issue is that Australia Post deliveries are delayed. They are hiring 4000+ staff I heard right now but deliveries are taking forever and customers are starting to complain since I run an online business as well.

I just checked my google analytics stats. My online business has increased revenue 37.6% since Sydney/Melb went into lockdown. That is quite alot.

4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Datto...why not hang a hammock in yo Druie McMansion...get a couple of Tacos....and Dos Equis...and you are in Mejico....

datto likes this.
  5. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member

This was my main point. Businesses like Bunnings/Officeworks have always had excellent customer service with no shortage of staff and large spaces/outdoor areas. In addition, many can work from home answering calls/emails/sorting orders etc. Real estate agents are even more capable of largely WFH.

Instead, I suspect that most workers have been suspended. By not fully transitioning to e-commerce, they are losing massive business volumes. We are 2 months into the new reality with no end in sight. I cannot fathom why these giants aren't adapting

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They do sell Pull-ups just in case. They have similar water retentive properties as the crystals.

7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Not hibernation of business but an indication it is getting bad for some small organisations in hospitality area. Had a very quick chat - at a safe distance replete with masks - with the owner of the coffee business. She said she has noticed with every set back there has been an increasing number of advertisements for the sale of catering equipment.

Yep, some are going down never to return.

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I also need some senoritas lining up from the front gate lol andela arriva!

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I guess your success of remaining open during this, lies in where you are located. If in a shopping mall, away from a supermarket, you may not get any business, however if you are located outside the malls, or with outdoor access of some sort, in an area of demand, you might be able to continue.

SatayKing likes this.
  10. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I was also thinking of businesses surrounding Canberra such as those at Bungendor, Braidwood and the South Cost of NSW. Reliant on tourists to a very large degree. I do feel for them. If you're 30 or close to that they'll have 30 or so years to recover but if you're in your 60's, very little chance. Occurs with every pandemic unfortunately.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Well if it’s in NSW, many of their staff are likely to be isolating at home currently!

12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say 'many'. Although our numbers are a lot higher than Vic currently, there's still not that many, in the scheme of things, that actually have the disease, or need to isolate. For instance, in Penrith Council there's currently 1172 active cases with a population of 212977.

13. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I would think that most, if not all, bottleshops are doing a roaring trade at the moment!;)

14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

My favourite burger place has stopped lunchtime trade - most of their business is from office workers in Chatswood, so with lots of people currently working from home, there just isn't enough people to justify opening.

They are doing dinner only Tue / Wed / Thu and then lunch and dinner on Fri / Sat / Sun (closed Mon).

Even though it's quite expensive - I've been making a point of doing family burger day every 2nd Friday lunchtime to support them.

The last thing I want is to see them give up and shut down the business - there are lots of burger places, but nobody comes close to Burger Patch!

jrc likes this.
  15. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Possibly won't be a thing for much longer the way branches are being closed, thing of the past.

16. Simon Hampel

Our local CBA here in Artarmon relocated down the road to a "mini" branch about 6 or 7 years ago - I think they only had 2 or 3 staff on site.

During last year's lockdowns they "temporarily" closed the branch and only had the ATMs open - full function ATMs fortunately - including deposits.

When they didn't re-open after the lockdowns lifted, I recall commenting to my wife that they were going to shut it permanently. Sure enough - about 3 months ago the branch got covered up with heavy plastic with a sign posted on the front saying "permanently closed".

I always thought it was a bit marginal to have a branch in our suburb and we've got a big branch in Chatswood nearby - but I was hoping they would at least leave us some ATMs.

That being said, I don't recall the last time I paid for anything with cash!

17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Saving money, trying to get everybody to do everything online….. it’s really the older people who would do the everyday over the counter banking mostly. Better for shareholders….

I stopped carrying my wallet too at the start of the pandemic and hardly ever use cash. Phone, a couple of credit cards, a work ID (that’s basically redundant now), my drivers licence and Medicare card is now what I usually carry. And really the credit cards don’t really minded to be carried as I can do it via phone or watch, and I have a electronic version of my licence too.

18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There is a local small bakery which only accepts cash. They've lost my business many times over.

Apart from that, I use cash only when splitting bills at a restaurant. Not all our group are phone savvy, so bill splitting apps aren't helpful.

19. Simon Hampel

Ironically, there is a bakery in Milton on the NSW south coast which only accepts credit cards - no cash (this is pre-pandemic too!).

SatayKing and geoffw like this.
  20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

One small advantage of the pandemic has been that many places which used to have a lower limit for using a card no longer have that limit.