Entertainment & Music Everest

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by wombat777, 18th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I saw the movie Everest last night.

A good telling of the '96 tragedy.

Awesome footage, particularly of parts of the trail and villages up to Base Camp.

'The Summit' is another movie worth looking out for.

MTR likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've booked 3d tickets on the iMax screen this weekend. Can't wait.

MTR likes this.
  3. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Check out Sherpa when it's out, saw it at miff. Really fantastic movie, from the Sherpa view point.

wombat777 likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Do mountain climbers ever rest?

wylie likes this.
  5. wylie

I read an old book written mid-century from memory, from the Sherpa viewpoint. It was a fascinating read. I cannot get enough of mountain climbing stories... never want to do it or even go there, but love watching and reading about it.

One of the best movies I saw was Touching the Void, a true story. Well worth a look. I'll look out for Sherpa. Thanks for the heads up.

WattleIdo likes this.
  6. Investig8

Investig8 Well-Known Member

I went to this movie yesterday as well, all the skips in it did really well, a tragedy, very moving, highlights the extremes people will go too no matter the cost, physically, financially & emotionally.

Highly rate for anyone to see.

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. wylie

I'm not sure what this means? Is "skips" a typo?

8. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

Cant wait to see the movie. I've always been fascinated by stuff like this. Climbing mountains, or similar like the early explorers, or expeditions to the north or south pole. I read "Into thin air" when it first came out.

See ya's.

WattleIdo likes this.
  9. Investig8

Investig8 Well-Known Member

Not at all, it's colloquial for "Aussies".

10. GreatPig

GreatPig Well-Known Member

Sounds good. I read Jon Krakauer's book about it years ago (and see someone's playing him in the movie). Enjoyed the book.

Also read Touching The Void. Another good story. It's a wonder Simpson survived to tell it though.

Wayne

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I just saw Everest today. A good film, with spectacular scenery, especially in 3D but not iMax- however, it got a little confusing with the number of characters.

12. wombat777

Dialog ( mumbling ) was hard to follow in some scenes in the bad weather in the mountain. Will watch it with subtitles at some point.

13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Me too. Love that doco and even read the book.
    I reckon they're crazy but understand the fascination. Am really drawn to all that huge mountain stuff and the spectacular deaths etc.

14. wylie

Yep! I cannot wait to see it, and will be taking an extra jacket because I reckon I'll feel cold just watching it ;).

15. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I've climbed it twice, summited once..if anyone has any questions about the climb.

Propagate, D.T., MTR and 5 others like this.
  16. wylie

Wow!!! So many questions. Did you keep a journal or have you written about it. If so, I'd love to read it. If not, I reckon you will be sick of the questions you are going to get.

When did you climb it? Why did you climb it? (Please don't say "because it is there".) :p:D

I've never known anyone (not that I actually know you) to have climbed anything higher than a hill so I guess another question I have is did you see any bodies? We hear stories about modern climbers passing frozen climbers. That would freak me out.

I saw a photo just recently showing a long conga line of climbers. It was like the Myer half year sales. Was it like that when you climbed?

Did you have to cross those ladders lying over crevasses? I cannot even watch that without shuddering (I hate heights).

I guess you were on oxygen?

We were at Binna Burra last week and I didn't know that Groom had a connection there. We read a bit about him (and his father and grandfather).

That is enough for starters. More to come ;).

17. wombat777

Amazing!

Was the successful summit climb the first or second time? What were the circumstances of the other climb in which you didn't summit and how far did you get?

18. radson

radson Well-Known Member

@wylie , @wombat777

My friend Pete made a doco of the climb called 'The Hill'. I have also written bits and pieces for various magazines as such. Since the big 'E' have been much more dilligent in my record keeping. A bit lax i must admit on that one.

Climbed it in 2008 and 2010. First time I got Pulmonary Oedema at Camp 2 and felt very cheated. I didnt see any bodies but I knew where Hall and Fisher were located. Saw bodies hanging from helicopters from a distance. I believe climbing in from the Tibet side is more common to see former climbers on route.

The conga line photos have become quite infamous. In certain years, the weather window is very small and all potential climbers get funnelled into a couple of days as opposed to a longer window of 2-3 weeks. The day before i summited, it was quite busy, the day i climbed not too bad at all .

The ladders through the Khumbu icefall are SOP. After a while, they become super easy and you appreciate that without them, you would be spending days and not hours getting through the icefall.

Was on Oxygen from Camp 3. 97% of people who summit do so on Oxygen. To climb with out oxygen is amazing also much more deadly than what is already a reasonably risky trip. Also so much more susceptible to cold injuries.

Why did i climb it..well, for me was basically a progression. Climbed some smaller mountains and then keep upping the ante to try something higher and harder. Once you start doing expeditions, eventually someone invites you on an Everest trip and you start to know people who have climbed it and realise they are just quite ordinary people and you think to yourself, I may have a crack as well.

CDL, MTR, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  19. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Where's iMax?

20. wombat777

Thanks for sharing @radson.

How much did the Pulmonory Edeme impact you? Did you have to be flown down the valley or were you well enough to walk down yourself?

It took me about 6 weeks to recover from the Khumbu Cough after my Everest Circuit trek in Dec 12/Jan 13. I didn't help that I was hit by the flu at Lukla. Fortunately recovered enough for Gokyo Ri and going over the Cho La and then up Kala Patthar. The rescue choppers were a regular sight, although at the time of year I was there it would have been Trekkers.

WattleIdo likes this.