Ever had that "one" tenant who is incompetent .... ?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Lizzie, 3rd Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Received email from my managing agent today (different property than the flooded carpet) with this blurb:

"Hi our 3 yr old sons room is being infested with bird mites. There is a birds nest to the left of his window and in the last 4 days has been bitten all over his torso and neck. We first thought it was fleas from a toy given to him (our dog does not come inside) but with further investigation we have found the source to be the birds as there was a bird mite on the window sill. This is very concerning and need something done ASAP to 1. Get rid of the birds n nest in the gutter and 2. The mite infestation in my sons room as he will not be able to sleep in his room until something has been done."

Now, maybe I'm a little more practical but personally I would've simply flipped the nest off with a broom handle and flea bombed the room instead of whinging for my landlord to fix it.

This is the same tenant that wanted a plumber to look at the dishwasher - until they were informed that if there was no fault found then they would be charged the callout costs, so they cancelled - and numerous other little useless complaints over the last 6 months that must frustrate the managing agents no end.

Have suggested the grounds maintenance guy remove the nest and they bomb the room - if they can't wait another day then close the window and then bomb

Last edited: 3rd Apr, 2020
  2. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

I had a tenant ask for ceiling fans. It’s in Brisbane and I thought, hey, I’ll put air con in instead. Installed ducted. They weren’t happy and moved out once the lease was up lol

Codie, lettert, See Change and 4 others like this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

AS my amercian Friends say

probably Cold as a Meat locker :)

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Ah having just “one tennant who is incompetent”, sounds glorious!

skater, Codie, Dan Wood and 5 others like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It only seems to be one at a time - but they take turns. Had one complain because there was a spider at their back door ... needless to say the agent asked them if they had some fly spray, which they did, so she told them to spray it ... and then she rang me to have a laugh

skater, See Change, Hetty and 4 others like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sounds like they share that braincell. :oops:

mikey7, Lizzie, Dan Wood and 2 others like this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Speaking of brain cell.

Yeah, you do get them.

I had a tenant who wanted the toilet roll holder repaired. It was just the centre spring loaded thingamajid that broke because the tenant yanked the paper too hard. Probably in a rush to get out of there lol.

Anyways I went to one of those two dollar shops and bought one for three dollars (why the heck the're called a two dollar shop is beyond me).

I'm sure a handyman would have charged $80 for the pleasure.

skater and Lizzie like this.
  8. significance

significance Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Ceiling fans and air con are not the same thing. Air con costs much more in electricity and greenhouse gas emissions - especially ducted. In Townsville, I use my ceiling fans every day through the wet season, but only turn on the air con a few days a year.

Joynz and Marg4000 like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Your air-con will certainly get you higher rent now it is in. And a $15 standing fan from Bunnings is cheaper than installing fans in each room.

Crazy that your tenant would move out rather than spend $45 (even if they asked you to spend $45) on three standing fans.

lettert, Lizzie, Hetty and 1 other person like this.
  10. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

One thing I've learned to do over the years is to leave photocopied manuals of any electrical device in the house, you never leave the original because they always seem to lose them.

I often wonder if some of them lived in a cave before they rented my home, pouring cooking fat down the sink and it solidifies, then wanting a plumber to come in to unblock.

Kat likes this.
  11. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

If they want fans they can buy those pedestal ones from Harvey Norman or Good guys, that's all I've ever used in my home.

Lizzie and Hetty like this.
  12. significance

I can only guess that you've never lived in a house with ceiling fans. The difference between a ceiling fan and a standing fan is like the difference between air conditioning and sticking your hand in the refrigerator. Ceiling fans are way more effective and way more pleasant. I would not rent or buy a property without ceiling fans in a tropical climate.

Last edited: 3rd Apr, 2020
    Kesse, Joynz and Marg4000 like this.
  13. abc_123

abc_123 Well-Known Member

I have read that we will not be required, indeed I think actively discouraged, from sending anyone to the property for anything that is not urgent/emergency for the duration, so that will be small comfort to us when these tenants have a stupid request for a handyman to fix a toilet roll holder.

lettert, Lizzie, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I thought you had to be above 7 years old to sign a lease agreement,

surprised they havent asked you for a night light,or a snuggle teddy bear

skater, Lizzie and Antoni0 like this.
  15. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree. I’m a teacher and rooms with ceiling fans are not enough. The classrooms with air con are so much better!

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I have holidayed in a house with ceiling fans. I actually prefer a standing fan, but each to his/her own. I sleep most nights with a small fan aimed at me. When we stay with my SIL hubby "endures" me having the ceiling fan on. He doesn't like it at all.

lettert and Hetty like this.
  17. significance

Air con is better when it is really hot or when it is a dry heat. Ceiling fans work well for moderate, humid heat.

18. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I have both air-con and ceiling fans in my villa.
    For the majority of nights, over the summer months, the ceiling fans suffice. However, there is always a period when the air-con comes into its own, delivering a good nights sleep.

My reverse cycle air-con gets more use across winter as I can't stand the cold. Didn't have to worry about that too much last year as spent a good part of the cooler months in Karumba!
    Unfortunately, can't see that happening this year. Damn virus!

significance likes this.
  19. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I once had a tenant ask for a handyman to come around to change some light bulbs. Turns out he did try. He'd put a bayonet bulb into a screw socket, shattered the bulb and left he stem in the socket.

significance and adprom like this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Nearly every manual is online nowadays - I only leave them in PPoR sales

significance and Antoni0 like this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.