ETF ETF/LICs aimed at disruption

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by tvadera, 28th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tvadera

tvadera Well-Known Member

All,

With AI, cloud computing, robotics and automation on the rise, has anyone started looking at ETF's / LIC's (local or international) for long term investment?

As per recent survey and reports, one in 2 jobs would be partially or completely automated by technology and hence future need to be aligned with investment in tech companies. I am not good at picking up individual companies hence started looking for well known ETF or LICs

Does anyone own any and your experience with same?

2. 158

158 Well-Known Member

This is the gee up thread of all time on PropertyChat. Well done!

pinkboy

The Falcon likes this.
  3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

TECH, ROBO, HACK, NDQ, BTI, EGD for starters. Great SANF with this lot.

Perhaps best used in a barbell portfolio such as 80% Term Deposits and the rest in these. That way you’ll at least have something guaranteed to fall back on:D.

Sorry couldn’t resist. Like @The Falcon I overindulged last night so not of sound mind this morning (if ever for that matter):confused:.

Seriously the best way to deal with disruption is to just own traditional cap weighted index ETFs. Whatever happens will be reflected in the index. In with the relevant out with the irrelevant, no decisions required. Again as stated in the past think “self cleansing”. The journey might be a bit slower but a hell of a lot safer.

Last edited: 29th Apr, 2018
    sharon and Snowball like this.
  4. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Totally agree with the guru.

Success with the barbell approach requires more knowledge than the public, obtained through proper research and analysis. In the case of technology I think it's even more important that you know about tech, know with a level of certainty what kinds of technology will prosper, and know which companies will succeed in that area. Following random advice to jump on a speculative stock would be a recipe for disaster.

Technology is becoming more diverse and the lifecycle of some technology may be on shorter timeacales than what we have known to this point. Consider how quickly Nokia lost its market share and the rise and fall of My Space, something similar could happen to Facebook if this data privacy issue starts an en mass exodus. Having a 30% allocation to Facebook works well until it's worth nothing.

Basically, for the same reason most people shouldn't speculate in crypto currencies, we should be extremely careful with direct technology stocks. I've read so much rubbish written by "experts" about bitcoin as if they understand it and know what will happen next. It was the biggest pump and dump scam I've seen.

I'm working in tech and sticking with ETFs.