Escape from the Chateau

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 30th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Perp likes this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It's been on for years and love it ... agree it's a hell of a job and probably not viable without the tv royalties

MTR likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've been watching for a few years (six series), and the follow up Escape to the Chateau DIY where they help other chateau owners as they renovate their own chateaux.

It's a great show. If we were 30 years younger, we give it a go. Mind you, he is 61 and has little kids, so he must have heaps of energy. They both are amazing.

Perp, MTR, Curious2019 and 1 other person like this.
  4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Also watch it, love that couple ... :D

Perp likes this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Nah, I started watching it but her creativity got on my nerves. I'm loving the current "Restoration Australia" on ABC, Sunday nights.

wylie, balwoges and Lizzie like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The only thing I am not a fan of is the moat. It needs to go

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I need that moat. If I could put a moat filled with silver perch around "Villa No Mates" it'd be happy days.

Talk about living in iso, this will help. No "trick or treaters" tonight, dunking chair out the back for anyone who braves the moat and tries to scale the wall.

Last edited: 31st Oct, 2020
    Angel likes this.
  8. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I love it, have about 30 episodes of DIY saved on friends Foxtel from when I was locked up in quarantine recently, need a binge session!

9. wylie

The moat is one thing that is really beautiful, but I'd have to put a fence up with little kids around. You can't have eyes in the back of your head.

10. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Is that what it's called.

Preferred Lieutenant Colonel Strawbridge in his other presentations such as Scrapheap Challenge.

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I love her and him - but the kids drive me nuts.

I'm not a fan of their decorating style but love the energy, enthusiasm, her creativity and his willingness to go along with whatever hairbrained scheme she comes up with

12. wylie

I also find it annoying that they are pushed for time to get everything prepared for a wedding the next day, she decides that more important than ensuring they have food and drinks or bedrooms ready, is for her to glue butterflies up a wall. Sometimes I want to slap her, but it likely is all in the way it is edited and presented, like many reality shows.

The single mother who almost single-handedly has done up her chateau for eight years, with her young son, is such a hard worker. I say to hubby that if I lived in a chateau I'd want to be able to live there without having to rent it out or put up with B&B guests and their ability to sink my business with a bad review.

It's a fairytale, and just heating these places would be financially crippling, let alone trying to stop them crumbling.

Lizzie likes this.
  13. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

It is a fairytale, that's what so enjoyable about it! It's something we would all like to do in our dreams. Instead we indulge ourselves in renovations on our own homes exactly the same thing only on a smaller scale [without the moat] ... :D

wylie likes this.
  14. wylie

We are loving this show too. We were a bit gobsmacked at the terrace house near the harbour bridge, bought for about $4.5m and they spent something like $5m renovating it and chose to have two bedrooms. And the decoration and style... o_O

Lizzie likes this.
  15. random

random Well-Known Member

love the show and the couple ****** that they show so little of the actual hands on renovating though that it's hard to get a grasp on how they actually did all the work and individual jobs in that place. Who actually did the work , how they fixed different things , costs .
    Read though they sold their unit in London and that paid for the renos. They said they only spent 280k on the reno but l found that a bit far fetched. But then again isn't it in France , their costs could be so low that that is all it costed, l know l watch UK reno shows and can't believe how cheap their costs and spend are.
    l caught the one where they fixed the roof , dunno if anyone remembers the roof but it was rs.
    Anyway they were threading this 50yr old really wonky wooden ladder out the manhole onto the roof. Then the roof guy placed it running up to the V , climbed out and on he got , climed up and down repairing the roof. Don't think the ladder was even hooked on over the roof top V , crikey. Could just imagine here . Brand spanking 400$ ladder from Bunnings label still on it , scaffold, harnesses , permits and God knows what. Was dying to see how they'd actually fix the roof but once again though few seconds of him on the ladder next minute perfect roof.

Last edited: 10th Nov, 2020
  16. wylie

Dick and Angel seem to have done most of the work themselves. He's an engineer and unless he just stepped in for the cameras, he's done most of it and brought in experts (roofer) when needed. She's done most of the decorating. Amazing couple.

Lizzie likes this.
  17. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah they are , classics.
    Read too they did most of it themselves.

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

.... and it's Escape "to" the Chateau