Epoxy flooring ?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by dhg4, 5th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dhg4

dhg4 New Member

We are thinking of having epoxy flooring in our properties, rather than laying timber floor boards.
    The main reason, it looks modern and looks easier to install & maintain :)
    During my research, there are not many comments on epoxy for residential properties. (besides ppl using it in the garage)

I would like to know if anyone has any experience or thoughts with epoxy flooring for inside the home?.
    Especially the time it takes to install? Any adv/disadv? Any recommendation of companies /tradesman?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: 5th Feb, 2016
  2. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My dads business is concrete repair/epoxy flooring. Through my teens I often helped him out.
    Application is similar to painting (but harder) - however most are 2pack so require mixing. They then progressively harden. Depending on the one chosen it's normally within 20-45mins. So you need to be quick as it will harden/thicken on your brush.
    As for using it inside residential - I guess you could but I haven't seen it done. It would be cold and very hard - much harder then most other internal surfaces. I also vaguely remember there being a self-levelling epoxy - which would be the way to go.
    My dad's based in western Sydney and will travel up to 90 or so mins for a job normally - so if you are interested PM me and I'm happy to send through his details.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I have had it done on industrial and retail floors only. It wouldn't suit most houses unless very minimalist.

There's minimal thickness to the product so yo will see gaps below doors and skirting boards/architraves.

2 types - waterbased - hydropoxy or 2 pack epoxy.

The slab needs to be 100%

4. BKRinvesting

This! ^^

Scott No Mates likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

IMG_4343.JPG My parents lived in a house where an old garage had been coated with some sort of coating, and no damage apart from some scratches if something was dragged on it. It stood up fairly well but also was not a "used" room, rather an entry. So lots of foot traffic in and out but no "living" in the room.

When the house was rented out for a few years, tenants didn't care for as well as my parents had, and part of it cracked. We needed to fix it to sell. This was a million dollar house, and everything else was schmick. This floor had to be fixed.

I got quotes which were expensive to recoat. I found an epoxy coating supplier and bought enough for the floor. Hubby and I scraped off the old coating. Some came off easily. Others took a LOT of elbow grease. By this time hubby was saying we should bung in some carpet, but this floor was a WOW moment on entry and I wanted to keep that.

We ended up having an argument over this and he moved onto another job.

I snuck back without telling him and put on the coating myself. It had to be mixed and used quickly, but I was thrilled with the finish. I did two coats, and it could have taken a third, but I liked the finish after two coats, and it was similar to the original floor. A third coat would have made it a more solid colour, removed the visible brush marks, but I didn't want that.

I've no idea how it is wearing because we were doing this to sell, but here are some photos -
    1. Photo at start of this post is finished product after two coats

Photos under text are -
    1. damage on old finish
    2. starting to scrape it off
    3. floor ready for new coating
    4. first coat
    5. dressed for sale

IMG_4206.JPG IMG_4208.JPG IMG_4219.JPG IMG_4222.JPG IMG_4232.jpg

Last edited: 5th Feb, 2016
    Chrispy and The Y-man like this.
  6. BKRinvesting

That looks much thinner than the commercial stuff I'm used to. Probably much easier to apply too I imagine.
    The epoxy im used to is in commercial car parks and warehouses. Cars and forklifts on a regular basis without scratching, etc.
    Seems there's a large gradient of products available.

7. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I went through this exercise and put epoxy down in this room. It's a 65sqm slab.
    I did a bit of research - most of the paint companies have a 2 pack epoxy. Even Bunnings have one. The problem was nobody had a great colour range. The product I used was made by PPG and sold thorough Dulux - but only the trade centres sell it. It's available in 150 or so colours (I went for 'oyster').
    The bloke who sold it to me was great. He said there were two hardener options: fast and slow. I must have looked a bit dopey, because he said he would give me the slow one - probably should have worn my paint spattered clothes and acted a bit more confident. The cost was around $400.
    It was pretty easy to apply. I just used the rollers he recommended and tossed them out after each coat. It looks like a paint finish, but it's very hard - took a month to get really hard. I reckon to get a better finish that looked less like a paint finish you would need to use someone who does it for a living and uses very thick coatings as BKR above alluded to. I got a cost from someone and it was around $3,000 from memory. The paint look doesn't worry me as this room is a spare space and one day will be my big shed.
    Scott

Attached Files:

8. dhg4

dhg4 New Member

thanks so much for the responses. especially the photos.
    It gives me a better understanding of the material and the way its applied.
    I will look further into the products available. thanks again