Entry Door Awning or Shed

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ASXGJ1, 18th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

As seen in attached image highlighted yellow area in the image is open area just out of my entry door.

any idea or suggestion on how do i cover this area so that rain don't get into the house?

size is 2m long & 1m wide.

looking for something I can do my self or something easy to install and obviously not costly.

typical bunnings awning that goes are curved and would look ugly considering roof surrounding this open space.

thanks

upload_2022-3-18_17-0-55.png

upload_2022-3-18_17-1-17.png

2. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

currently rain goes straight inside home through door and extension of roof is over killing so something easy to fix would and doesn't look so bad would be good suggestion.

3. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

If anyone has done fix for similar problem then picture would be helpful.

thanks,

4. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

An awning of some sort but could the problem be that your gutters need cleaning?

5. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I have a very large sliding window that used to allow rain to flow under the tracks. I googled awnings in my city and a company came out, measured and quoted and installed all up for about $800. This was a few years ago so probably double the price nowdays. It works a treat, I can leave the windows open and no rain blows in ever. You will probably need to go custom to get something to suit your house.

wylie likes this.
  7. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I wanted to do it as DIY. I wanted to know what type of beam i need to hold acrylic sheet and how to fix that beam with roof gutter as the installation should be simple considering support available through existing roof gutter.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Gutters aren’t really designed to support anything and might make the drainage issue worse.

do the gutters overflow there or it’s just a coverage wind blow rain issue.? That little U of gutters are taking an awful lot of roof rain.

best solution might be something on stirrups supported above the roof so the the water can run back onto the roof rain system.

Otherwise you might be able to fix under gutters to fascia and slope gently away from the house and deal with the waterfall effect when it rains.

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This, but it's hardly a DIY thing, especially since you don't seem to know how to do it.

Westminster likes this.
  10. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

This is what I actually wanted to do. Sorry my post talk about gutter but actually I wanted to fix beam with fascia and slop sheet away from house.

Normal patio beam seems big and they can't hold acrylic sheet unless I screw them on to beam.

11. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

How about I use below angle on two side of fascia and screw sheet on them and slope away from house?

Metal Mate 40 x 40 x 3mm 1m Aluminium Equal Angle - Bunnings Australia

I need to find something matching colour to fascia but would this work?

Do I need rubber under the acrylic sheet for the length of angle before screwing sheet to angle?

Also what size angle I need?

The biggest question is where can I find acrylic sheet 2m X 1m or 2m X 900mm?

Found below product but not sure it can stay 3m length with support in the middle.

Perspex Acrylic Clear 2440 x 1220 x 3mm Sheet - Blacktown Building Supplies

I will sketch something and post it later.

Last edited: 24th Mar, 2022
  12. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

I know how to screw stuff but don't know if it works in this scenario :(:D

13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You'll definitely need something every 450 or 600mm for support.

You can buy a rubber washer to go between the frame and perspex and then above the perspex to the screw head.