ENCROACHMENT PRIOR TO SETTLEMENT: NSW

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Doculus, 22nd Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Doculus

Doculus Well-Known Member

I am in the process of negotiation on a property purchase in NSW. I have discovered that on one side of the boundary (Northern) that the neighbours have built their house very close to or over the boundary (this probably happened 60yrs ago).

Their is also a pool in that neighbours backyard that is smack bang on my boundary. My current fence line is about 2m in from my boundary.

On the Southern boundary, their is a school with a fence that encroaches about 1m onto our property. Would be easy enough to just move the fence as their are no building close to it.

So in total, there is approx 90sqm of land missing from this property I am trying to buy!

MY ISSUE
    I want to develop this land, and an extra 90sqm makes a big difference in the scheme of things.

1. Can I take this land back or get compensation prior to settlement?

2. Is the law on my side or could this result in a messy legal battle (which I want to avoid)?

3. If I develop, can I get some concessions regarding setbacks i.e. with reference to the boundary rather than the current fence line?

Any advice on my options would he appreciated

Chris

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Have you had a survey done?

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sounds very messy. If the land in dispute makes the difference between being able to develop or not (or limits what you can do) I'd make sure you get it sorted out before you purchase. I've had a few sleepless nights over a fence line that the neighbour told me she would take me to court over. She had my corner. Luckily she was selling, and nothing more came of it as the people looking to buy saw only the new fence line where we put the fence back on the correct boundary.

It got nasty though. She was abusive. Her (soon to be ex) husband was worse. She actually accused me of taking "her" land. She mentioned "adverse possession" more than once, but I was advised our case was strong (Queensland) and the cost for her to try to get my land was likely too much for the little bit involved, and she was selling anyway.

If I was looking at a purchase with more than one problem with alignments, I'd sort it out beforehand, or move on.

hobartchic and kierank like this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Have you sought legal advice?

Adverse possession.

5. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Messy Indeed. Is this a must have development? I would read up on NSW fencing laws, boundaries and adverse possession laws. Perhaps sellers have not developed for these reasons - and probably wouldn't disclose either.

6. Doculus

Thanks for your reply.

Haven't had a survey done, but my daughter is an architect and we got the info of the nsw state gov website, which shows the boundaries lines. I believe they are based on surveys. Crossed checked the system with other properties I own and it appears to be accurate. Of course as you suggest, an official survey would settle it. Wanted to know what I was potentially up for if things were askew.

7. Doculus

Agreed.

8. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Having a survey does not necessarily settle it, unfortunately. There would be no adverse possession claims if surveys were the bible. You may have a reasonable neighbour who agrees for you to move the fence on to the boundary line OR your neighbour may say the fence has been there for 30 years, it's my land.

lixas4 likes this.
  9. Doculus

The fence probably has been there for 30 yrs.....and their pool and house could not have been built (on the boundary) based on today's bca /dcp. So someone has approved their house (70yrs ago) and their pool (more recently) which makes me think that it might be hard to make a claim for the land they are using.

I don't know much about this legal area, but I would presume that it would be hard to argue based alone on the data from sixmaps survey that the land belongs to the property I am trying to buy if it has been like that for 30yrs?

The interesting thing is that the survey on nsw sixmaps site says the land is 630sqm (based on survey boundaries), but when you measure it based on fence lines it is really only 520sqm. Realestate is selling it as 630sqm not 520sqm - so something not right here

10. Doculus

That's the obvious next step. I read that a person must have exerted dominion over the land for 12 yrs before they can apply for adverse possession. Based on sales records, I see that the owner of next door neighbour bought their property in 2011 - so only 7 yrs.

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@bmc or @lixas4 may be able to provide some pointers on adverse possession, however merely use and fencing aren't the only criteria. Who has been paying the rates and performing maintenance on the land?

A boundary identification survey will assist in knowing where the fences are located relative to the boundaries.

bmc and kierank like this.
  12. Doculus

Good point. Maitenance on land has definitely been the neighbours.

That would be an interesting thing to investigate. If owner has been paying rates on 634sqm value and 634sqm is stated in council records. I might call council and ask them what they have on record. They may have an up to date survey on hand. Have also put a call into the agent to ask him what he knows.

13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You are drawing simplistic conclusions on what may be a complex legal situation.
    Proceed with caution, and very good legal advice.
    Even with right on your side, you may be in for a very long and costly battle if neighbours dig their heels in.
    Marg

d_walsh likes this.
  14. Doculus

Yes i am definitely out if my depth. Just trying to think out loud.

15. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Don't rely on the boundaries shown on Government mapping. They can be off by a large margin. Look at some streets and every single house is built half into the neighbouring lot. Get an identification survey if you want to know the actual boundaries.

bmc and lixas4 like this.
  16. Doculus

That's good to know. Appreciate your advice

JDM likes this.
  17. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

@JDM is spot on, the map bases cannot be relied upon. Only a survey by a registered land surveyor can tell you were your title boundaries are, and if there are any encroaching buildings/fences.

JDM and bmc like this.
  18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

And when we confirmed our true boundary with a surveyor, that is when the real fun started, the abusive texts and calls, threats of adverse possession.

It was very stressful.

19. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Our tenants were threatened,:eek: we were threatened.

20. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

100% correct. never use the GIS cadastre (boundary) overlay to deteremine a property boundary. it is only meant to be indicative.

Get a survey done to find out where structures stand on the lot. There may not be any problem at all.

JDM, lixas4 and Scott No Mates like this.