Employed a Painter..

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by willair, 13th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Helping our daughter to re-fit a unit she settled on last Friday afternoon..

The Painter we use has moved up to Noosa and is that busy he cant fit us in his work-time frame,so I look at the local southside paper yesterday morning as the Electrician's has just finished with the new safety switches changed the boards layout as there was very little room left--and tested everything from the a/c units too the grill oven on the stove.. Rang 2 companies made the appointment ,only one turned up -A Lady in her late 50"s..
    I take her up for a look and a quote,told her I want all the old mission brown covered on all the beams to bring the light back into the living rooms bedrooms ,and what she think is the best way to bring the property back to life..

The Lady spends ten minutes with her note pad,then we sit down on my camping chairs and table make her a cup of tea ,and talk business..

She tells me she charges $220.00 for 10 hours per day,and will complete the unit within 2 days,and will need $450..00 upfront to buy the materials ..So i'm thinking this is a 2-5 to 3k paint job from as first class painter,and as this Lady has been a Painter all her life,so I just drop $500.00 on the table
    asked her if she wants the 2 days payment now,as I could see just by looking and talking this Lady has had a very hard life..
    She did not want the money for her labour,not until it's finished ..Then we have a quick talk about our life ,her husband passed away several years ,only son passed away 2 years ago banged up on the ice ,and she is all by herself-owns her own property rents 2 rooms out to o/s students ..

That's what I love about property investment ,it's the people you meet along the way..

EN710, TMNT, WattleIdo and 5 others like this.
  2. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Looking forward to hearing about the job she does for you. Hope its a story where both parties are happy.

EN710 likes this.
  3. willair

The Lady started at 7 this morning,doing all the undercoats and will cut everything in and patch a few sections where the plumber has cut out a wall behind the bathroom to fix and reset that section..Late tomorrow it will be finished ,I never look down on anyone just read the person sitting in front of you and put yourself in their shoes
    for a moment..
    This is a quote I live by..
    Yogi-Berra..
    "You can observe a lot by just watching".

EN710 and WattleIdo like this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Are you saying she charges $22 per hour? I couldn't pay her that. I'd pay her more. I'm a softie.

bob shovel likes this.
  5. willair

Yes that's
    Yes that's the rate per hour,plus talked too the daughter and wife about the price early this morning,and both gave me that look ..Tomorrow I will just pay her $600.oo for the 2 days as I get the receipt ,she will walk out happy and so will I..

EN710, Foxy Moron, mikey7 and 2 others like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

And I was thinking she has a nice scam where she takes $500 and does no work at all and you never see her again.

Plenty of tradies have pulled that one. Especially ones with Irish accents - travellers.

mikey7 and bob shovel like this.
  7. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

How did it all go?

8. willair

Went into 3 days,and a excellent job the Lady finished about 1 yesterday afternoon..Pulled the old kitchen floor up today and put down new tiles finished that a few hours ago..Just a matter of getting the carpets cleaned ,new hardwired smoke detectors then its into the rental market..Daughters happy i''m just glad I can help ,plus special time for us ,all that talk around the dinner table has paid off..

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Was expecting a willair got ripped off story. But good news for a change.

Lets hope her paint job is as good as her attitude

10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Ps it's $22 per hour without materials right!?!?!?!?!?