Technology & Social Media Email Inbox Organisation!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by LifesGood, 12th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

How do you keep your email inbox organised?

Some people I know have a separate folder for everything which means anything left in the inbox is yet to be actioned. I am somewhere in between. I keep separate folders for important emails that require keeping, then the rest just mount up in the inbox.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I put things I need to keep in a folder - one folder for each house, each family member. Anything else I read and action, file, print (if I need a printed copy) and file. Some things I leave if I might look for it later to read.

Things like daily deals I quickly scan and if I'm not interested in I delete them.

I often email myself from my phone and leave it "unread" so I will see it when I'm home at my desk where I can deal with it.

Last edited: 13th Dec, 2015
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I delete or file anything that has been actioned.
    The ones in inbox are yet to be actioned.

Aim is to get rid of everything - keep it cleaned.

Most of mine are delegated, then removed from inbox

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Inbox? Is that the one where unless I have already set up the sender it gets filed? I think my one is called "Spam". It's low maintenance as it is self-emptying after 30 days.

5. wylie

I didn't address the "spam" issue. I rarely get spam emails. Anything spammy that makes it to the inbox is deleted immediately but generally the spam box looks after itself.

6. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

My outlook inbox controls a total of 7 different email addresses over 2 businesses plus my "personal junk" address.

The trick, I find, to keeping it under control and not missing important emails is to make very good use of the Rules function.

Have a look at the attachment.. you can see I have split the inbox into as many folders as I need. This includes subfolders. You can see the "Abacus" Folder has supplier and customer folders. Emails come in and just go to where they should be. The generic inbox is then usually just the junk stuff that I may sign up for. If I decide I sign up for something and I want to keep the emails coming, it will get its own folder.

Works for me :)
    inbox.jpg

7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

The first step is admitting you have a problem, which I don't.

Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 7.39.30 am.png

kmrr, Zoolander and teetotal like this.
  8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Lunch ladies / love it

RetireRich101 likes this.
  9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Yep same, only thing in Inbox is items still requiring action

10. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

:) And note they are in all CAPS !!! That is an Important folder :)

Xenia likes this.
  11. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

was about to say....

I think I am ok to have a Boys Night Out folder now

moyjos and Xenia like this.
  12. wylie

Hi moyjos... do your emails go straight into the folder they are meant to go into or do you drag them to the correct folder after you've dealt with them?

13. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Mine are split between different business address and personal. Beyond that I don't see the need to organise it more as I just use the search function to find what I need.

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Gmail doesnt do folders unfortunately.
    So I have multiple email addresses for gmail. One for general stuff, including for when I am looking for work, one for volleyball emails, one for property, one for consumer shopping.
    Then I also have an old yahoo account which I tend to use for holiday stuff.

15. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Yep emails go where they are supposed to automatically as they arrive.
    It is really easy to set up (how to here)

It makes is really easy to see which are important. eg: I know I need to IMMEDIATELY address stuff that is in a customer folder, stuff in a supplier folder is usually invoices which can wait until I enter into QuickBooks.

Xenia likes this.
  16. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Initially I didn't like their labelling system... But now I love it. One email can belong to many labels.
    Spend some time learning about their 'star'ing emails. Your whole inbox page can be sectioned off. At work, few sections like "To do", "To answer", "Facts". Time to time you go through the inbox and star them. Then archive the inbox. That way the inbox is clean but emails are not lost.

17. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I have a million and one mail rules set up with a similar system to Moyjos. For senders I care about I have a pop up alert so if I'm on the comp I know pretty much straight away when I receive an email and for others I care a little (lot) less about I just have the emails assigned to their folders and read when I get a chance.

I also have different message alerts on my phone so I know if I'm receiving one addressed to me directly or if it's just lender or other 'spam'.

moyjos likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Gmail uses tags rather than folders. Essentially same but different if you know what I mean.

I have tags for each property, owner, remittances, invoices, payments, tenants, maintenance etc other tags for cpd, fair trading, professional memberships etc.

Right click is your friend. Tag it then archive.