Electricity between tenants moving in

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by giraffez, 30th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

I transfer the electricity of my IP to my name during the gap between the old and new tenant. The new tenant has moved in and has already organised for a transfer into their name (it says pending on my account). I was just told by my electricity company that electricity for me will be billed until end of next month. I don't understand how this is so, that means I will paying their energy bills for another month! Did the wrong type of transfer? How does electricity accounts change hands normally?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The electricity company should read the meter within a few days of you telling them you want to close it off in your name.

You won't (or shouldn't) be up for the following month.

3. giraffez

Thats why i'm confused. I may ring them up again and speak to another person. They were insistent I didn't have to do anything since the tenant has transferred to switch over... but the bill will come to me up to end of next month, not to the tenant (seperate provider)

4. wylie

Doesn't sound right to me. I'd be asking more questions. Will they do a final meter read, why are you paying until the end of the month when the new tenant has opened an account with another provider?

Make them answer the questions so you understand it.

5. giraffez

I thought i was missing something and it was just me not understanding how electricity switch works. The first person told me the reason why i will be billed till end of month was that the tenant did a transfer instead of a new move in connection. Is there really such a thing? Surely when a tenant moves in and tells the energy company, i have moved in today and i want to transfer the energy account to my name effective immediately, this is what happens.

I'm yet to call them again to speak to someone else.

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's your responsibility to close your account and order a final meter reading. You can't leave this to your tenant.

giraffez, D.T. and wylie like this.
  7. giraffez

I spoke to my energy provider again and they said everything is good. They can see the tenant has organised the transfer and my billing has stopped on the day the transfer started.

I did enquire whether i need to close account and order final meter reading and they said no need. It will close automatically once the transfer is done and my bill has stopped accruing.

I don't know what the first person was talking about.

Thanks all

Perthguy likes this.
  8. wylie

I was also told this when I disconnected recently for a house we'd been renovating. But I still called my own provider and asked for a final read, just in case.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Good outcome.

10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Why?