Electrical Switcboard/Fuse box - Missing Cover - Brisbane Unit

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Owl, 17th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

The switchboard at a unit I am getting set up to rent out is missing the perspex cover ( pic attached) - it was destroyed. My agent sent an electrician in, and they said they couldn't source a direct replacement cover - old model, unit is nearly 30 years old. The best they could to was full a switchboard upgrade with safety switches on all sub-circuits. The existing board has a safety switch on the power circuit - and would be legally compliant absent the cover issue. The new board would be smaller than the current board and would then require a handyman to come in and patch and paint the wall to fill in the gap. I asked if an alternative cover could be sourced, or made ( like a hinged door or panel over the hole in the wall). The electrician said that can't be done. Basically he considers this to be a repair/alteration of the switchboard and as a result the switchboard must be upgraded to a switchboard with safety switches on all circuits. Anyone been through this? Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why do a switchboard replacement when a perspex door over the panel would suffice? (I am not a sparky but I am not aware of a requirement to have a cover on the panel).

Are you required to upgrade the switchboard breakers If you don't touch the board?

3. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

I know it sounds crazy!

4. Scott No Mates

2nd opinion required

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've asked my electrician if he wants me to put his details in your other thread calling for an electrician. Now I see this other thread, and what I can do is ask him to read it and give me his opinion if you'd like.

Owl and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

7. Scott No Mates

You will probably be up for a new board as well as the enclosure is not of a fire ******ant material.

8. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Sorry Scott, I didn't understand your comment. I am assuming the enclosure the electrician instals will meet all relevant safety standards. The ideal scenario is that it simply houses the existing board. (....but I am not an electrician, and generally clueless on the subject).

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've asked my sparky and he's said at the moment he is booked through for many weeks, has more work than he'd like fr the moment, so I'm sorry but he can't help with this.

Owl likes this.
  10. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

You definitely need a second opinion to find out whether installing a new door on the front is considered enough of a change/repair/modification to trigger the requirement for the entire board to come up to current standards.