Electrical issue with fluorescent lights

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by giraffez, 31st Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

I brought some LED fluorescent lights (entire unit not just the tubes) from bunnings to replace my old set of lights. i called an electrician out and paid him to install these. Out of the 3 lights installed, 2 of them are okay. But the fourth installed one of the batten flickers - the other one doesnt. There is no dimmer switch for these, just ordinary switches.

He waived me off and says there is nothing he can do about the flicker and its to do with my power. He says the product is badly design and its not his responsibility to get it working.

Can this really be possible? The other 2 working lights are fine, and it is installed in the same room. I can't understand how a product can be sold if it doesn't work - they are just the typical LED lights Is the electrician taking me for a ride?

Now i'm stuck with a non functional light and to get that replaced, I'll have to call another electrician to take it down and install it. :(

These are the lights:
    DETA 18W Twin Batten Fixed LED Light with Diffuser Cover

2. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it is your power really, sounds like a faulty unit from Bunnings. If your power was the problem, I would say that all lights would have a similar problem?

Beano, wylie and Handyandy like this.
  3. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Try changing the starter if it has one.

We have had units not work correctly out of the box we have also had units not work after very short time in operation. All very frustrating.

4. giraffez

We had a spare unit on the day and I asked the electrician at the time to switch it over. He says it won’t make a difference and that the product is s*** so wouldn’t do it.

It’s not like I got a cheap lights, I got the stock standard stuff from bunnings, that was the main brand they stocked. If it wasn’t designed to standard I don’t think they will be selling it.

I don’t think there is a starter, it’s LED battens.

The problems is this seems to be its like trial and error. The electrician is saying it’s not his problem but to install it again I need to pay for another call out fee and labour cost. If the product is at fault, then of course Bunnings will replace it but I have to call out the electrician again to remove and install it. And it may or may not fix the problem if he insists it’s to do with power and that the product isn’t designed correctly.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd get a new electrician. If you want him to switch it out while he is there, what is to lose? Why would he say no (unless he thought you wanted him to put in that extra time for free?)

Surely, he would continue to charge you for the time spent there regardless of how many times you ask him to change things around?

He sounds like just as much of a problem as the faulty light.

These days, I tell our electrician what we want and he supplies the fittings (not always). That way he chooses something of a quality that may be better than what we can buy. This is what I'd do for a simple fluro fitting.

The Y-man and qak like this.
  6. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

It is a bit odd that the electrician blames the product when some of them work and won't use the spare but stranger things have happened.

You will need a call out either way - call a different electrician. Then you can discount the first electricians invoice based on the outcome.

7. giraffez

thanks all. Will cut my loss and call another electrician. Its really hard to tell whether its a bad product or the electrician being dodgy. If its approved for sale especially in reputable places like Bunnings, I have no reason to believe its not fit for purpose.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's on guarantee of quality - Masters & Bunnies it was a race to the bottom.

I bought 4 GUD led lights yesterday, o e brand was $20, the other $10 but being sold out at half price. I have ¼ of the expectations.

qak likes this.
  9. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

That, to me, just says "I'm not making more profit by supplying the parts, so F you."

I wouldn't be calling them back.

Propertunity likes this.
  10. James90

James90 Well-Known Member

Electrical at Bunnings is for the most part, terrible.
    I’m an electrician and the return rates on Bunnings light fittings is massive, I couldn’t count the number of faulty/broken light fittings I’ve pulled out of brand new packaging.
    It’s the risk you take when you supply your own materials, it’s not the electricians fault the parts are faulty.

Stab in the dark, did you buy arlec brand?

Propertunity likes this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its all budget and they cut quality to sell for a price. A guy at work bought 8 fans. Two didnt work well (one wobbled and one makes a noise). He suspected that in advance and had bought a few spares. So out of 10 he needed 8 and they all worked.

I ask myself each week - How good is this Aldi stuff ?

12. giraffez

Thank you all.

13. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Agree with the others- it’s the quality of the lights. The electrician that I use never installs electricals from Bunnings or other cheap lighting places for this reason. So I usually have to fork out extra and get them from Beacon. Glad I did this- no problems so far.

14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Paul@PFI so how good is the Aldi stuff?

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

He has had them running for five months and other than the two he replaced he is happy.
    That said, he has seen Aldi sell ABS plastic ones which he wouldnt have bought. His are more robust laminated timbers etc (like a airplane prop). He picked them up in the second week when they marked their stock down from $200 a piece to $69.

Says he rarely used the AC in the real hot summer so they helped with his power bill

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Before you do anything else
    1. take the tubes and starter from the working units
    2. use them in the flickering ones
    3. if the prob still continues, it's either power supply to that section of house (serious sparky job) OR the unit (the ballast above the unit which is not repairable/replaceable).
    4. really the only sure way to confirm it is the unit is unfortunately to plug into a place where the identical unit is working...... (sparky job)

If it is the unit, take it back to Bunnings for a refund/exchange

The Y-man

craigc likes this.