Cars & Motorbikes Electric cars

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Chris Au, 10th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Over the last few years, I've increased my interest in electric cars (not hybrids but either full electric or electric/fuel combo).

Yesterday, I saw an ad for the new Hyundai Kona electric. Kona Electric | Electric Cars
    (there's also the Hyundai Ioniq electric and Plug-in - electric/fuel combo, which is what interests me)

Has anyone considered electric cars? (Realising they're really only for city areas and Australia is oh so much in it's infancy in this space).
    I see electric cars in Oz where Solar was about 10-15 years ago - question is, will electric cars (metro areas), grow like solar has in Australia?

Am interested in others thoughts.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

CarAdvice recently did a range review of the Ioniq and compared the (traditional) hybrid, plug-in hybrid and the full electric versions of the car and were generally very positive about them.

2019 Hyundai Ioniq range review | CarAdvice

For a 2nd car used mostly around town, they liked the full electric with a range of 280km - which is more than enough for anyone commuting around the city.

For those with longer range requirements, the traditional hybrid was better.

While the plug-in hybrid sounds compelling as a compromise between the two - 63km of pure electric range is more than enough for many people's daily commute, while having a full range of over 900km ... they did seem to indicate that there were a few too many compromises (price, weight) in the PHEV.

Either way - the full electric version is currently the cheapest full EV on the market and apparently a very decent car for the money.

johnmteliza and Chris Au like this.
  3. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I'd love one, waiting for the Rivian to be here and affordable (long wait I guess).

If you're into this sort of thing check out The Driven podcast, also Solar Insiders and Energy Insiders podcast by the same chaps (all 3 are Australian based), very interesting. Also check out the YouTube show Fully Charged hosted by Robert Llewllyn (Kryten from Red Dwarf), they did a recent episode on the Rivian, the things a beast.

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'd love one - I'm watching what comes onto the market as we'll be upgrading two cars in the next two years ... think I'll go a hybrid Corolla for the long distance cruising and a fully electric something else for around town.

Hubby wants something bigger for towing a caravan ... but I don't caravan so end of story

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I'd love one...but for me the battery tech just isn't there yet.

Li-ion isn't quite the right tool for the job. We're getting there though. Shouldn't be too long now before that chestnut is well and truly cracked.

Then I'm in.

Chris Au likes this.
  6. Chris Au

Yes, the 63km range was a real let down for me. They quotes a 1.1L/100km economy for the plug in and I would be interested in what proportions they used the battery and fuel to get that economy rating (I'm thinking they just drove it until the battery, then fuel ran out?)

This is the approach I think we'll take. The electric for daily driving and trips within it's (comfortable) limits, which is 80% of our driving, then our D-Max for longer trips and towing.

Realistically, I'm looking about 3 years down the track, but am keeping a keen eye on developments. I agree that technology may not be fully there, but it could be progressing (thanks to other countries - thanks Europe).

I'll keep watching what happens with the first version of the Kona and Ioniq, and as other makes/models come onto the Australian market; I always wait for the second, or third versions to be out to get bugs out - the big bugs I've read about is the shorter battery distances in the Ioniq, but the reviews seem pretty neutral about the Kona (just need to be able to wait the 6-12 month waiting periods).

Since Australia is quite rich in Lithium, I heard about possibilities of establishing a battery production facility in Australia, but we'll wait and see if they put their money where their mouth is (and how much the batteries would cost compared to importing batteries).

7. Chris Au

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Just beware - if your D-Max is diesel - as major overseas countries are phasing out diesel due to the high emissions. Might mean shortages or high expense or just not available going into the future.

I'm like you - like to wait a couple of years for the bugs to sort themselves out, rather than being a first adopter. I am really interested in the hydrogen technology, as they don't require rare materials batteries, but the downside is that you need "filling stations", that aren't currently in existence, as the fuel can't be produced at home like solar electricity can - both Toyota and Hyundai manufacture hydrogen cars.

"The Toyota Mirai offers a driving range of approximately 550km when its two on-board tanks are filled with about 5kg of compressed hydrogen. Refuelling from a commercial site takes just 3 to 5 minutes. The only tailpipe emission is water vapour."

Nexo | Hydrogen Fuel Cell Cars
    Toyota Australia Extends Hydrogen Mirai FCEV Loan Program | Latest News

Chris Au likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

10. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I traded in my diesel 4x4 last year for a 5 year old car with 140,000km. This strategy was to get maximum resale from my Land Rover (which was holding its value even though it was 4 years old). Expecting used car prices for petrol / diesel vehicles to be impacted as electric car take-up accelerates. At the time was considering buying a new car but decided against it ( risk of high depreciation for petrol / diesel cars whilst battery electric vehicles still too expensive due to limited choice in market ).

Overall plan is to get an electric car around 4-5 years (2023 to 2024). By this time there will be much greater choice in the Australia market. Battery manufacturing costs are also expected to start coming down.

I'm invested in battery materials of various forms and have been since 2017. Have therefore been following the electric car and battery industry very closely. Twitter is perhaps the best way to keep up to date. Battery chemistry is also evolving and this plays a part in battery prices coming down. This will also allow ranges to improve over time as energy density of the batteries improves.

The Prestige, Lizzie and Chris Au like this.
  11. Chris Au

Absolutely agree with everything you've said @wombat777 . A monthly newsletter I've subscribed to is EVs in Australia - My Electric Car .

It's interesting to see the world's approach to various fuel types. I was flirting with the idea of an A200 diesel until Mercedes stopped producing a diesel version of the A200 at the end of last year (their smallest diesel as a daily driver is a GLA220 diesel) so am interested to see how things progress.

Of course if the electric car world progressed quickly in Australia, we might trade both cars in for an electric ute, capable of pullng a caravan/car trailer, but I highly highly doubt it as rural/outback Australia is ruled by diesel cars/machinery/equipment. I don't think you would see many electric cars doing the Stuart Highway....

12. Chris Au

I really like the concept of Hydrogen cars as well, but I have a selfish interest in that we have solar and batteries at home so the idea of recharging from 'free power' from solar or solar batteries is strong for me.

13. Chris Au

And, I understand, the lack of subsidies the Government is willing to pay to the manufacturers?? (I read somewhere at sometime)

14. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I like the idea and the geek in me REALLY wants am electric car but I am not prepared to shell out 20 grand EXTRA for a Hyundai Kona just to have the electric model over the petrol model.

I love being an early adopter where possible but not this time round, I will wait a few more years I think.

Chris Au likes this.
  15. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I've been thinking, I bought a pimped up Discovery 4 diesel late last year, I've been toying with the idea of moving it on now whilst it's still worth a bit, buying a bomb and sitting out for a few years until the electric stuff comes of age a bit (which the way things have accelerated of late may be way sooner than anyone really thinks).

wombat777 likes this.
  16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

It's so interesting, 2 days ago my partner was talking about getting an electric car in 2 years time, and here is a thread on it. I guess the adoption of electric cars in Australia will happen before self driving cars do. Many safety questions involved with self driving cars!

17. Chris Au

Agree. As part of my DD I am determining the additional cost of electric vs fuel (diesel for me - better fuel efficiency on country roads), such as differences in maintenance costs and longivity of the car (we own our cars for a longer period). Maintenance costs are higher but 'fuel' for us would be almost $0 for a fully electric car (off the grid).

18. Chris Au

Australia needs significantly better road infrastructure for self driving cars. Again, limited to the metro of metro areas.

My dream car - a self driving electric/solar car that I could recharge from my free solar! (oh and without a computer that needs a 10yr old to work out :rolleyes:)

:D:D

Stoffo likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Have a look at the Toyota's - the electric versions are only around $2k more than the petrol

20. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    All the fuss the coalition is making about Bill Shorten and 50% EV's by 2030 ... they are making out the sky will fall in for tradies and weekend drives.... when the reality is that every car manufacturer on earth is either already dabbling or has plans to dabble in the EV space in the next year or two.... Tesla may have been the leader but before this year is out we will have Jaguar (already launched) Mercedes and Audi joining them in offering luxury electric SUV's . BMW and Porsche next year. Within 3-4 years we will have multiple vehicles from almost every brand available as EV's. The way its looking, 50% by 2030 may well turn out to be a weak effort..... Many advanced economies have already passed legislation banning 100% of petrol or diesel engines by 2025-2030 . Bill's only talking about 50% by then, and its a target not a mandate. In the end it wont be up to Bill or Scott or anyone else though.... in just a few years EV's will be just about the only cars available from most manufacturers and the market will have spoken. That will be that. You know it's serious when even Harley Davidson are going electric, and when Ford is going electric on all its big pick up trucks. That tells you all you need to know . This is going to happen ( and fast) and no small minded fear mongering here in Oz is going to change that. Whether Bill's in the lodge or whether Scott's in the Lodge, EV's are going to be a big big thing in just a few years time....

The opportunity for Australia is in the lithium mining and battery manufacturing. This could be the next mining boom. Could be HUGE for Perth...

Last edited: 10th Apr, 2019