East Brisbane Raise & Build Under

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mark#3, 3rd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mark#3

Mark#3 New Member

Hi all,

I want to look at raising and building under my 2 bedroom (100sqm~) cottage but not convinced as to where to start as I want to get a reasonable indication on costs to see if it's even viable for me.

There are builders that draft plans but for their fee you're seemingly stuck with using them for the build.

You can go directly to to an architect or building designer and pay their fees but again potential waste of money if builders quote well above what I'm willing to spend.

How can I get a reasonable indication on cost without committing '000s upfront?

Any recommended contacts?

Ta

2. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

Hey

any architect should work within your parameters ie tell him/ her your budget and they should stay within that. There are architects around who will draw plans for ~10k with 3 options which u can pick ideas from to arrive at your optimal scenario- good luck

3. Mark#3

Mark#3 New Member

Thanks wally, I guess my concern is paying $10k and then price is out of question. Hoping to get some price confidence pre expense of full plans. May not be an option...

4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

If you get a few builders around to have a look they can give you some ballpark figures.

At an absolute minimum, I think you're looking at $350k to get to lock up stage with modest finishes. If you have a slope to resolve it'll likely be more.

I wouldn't go to an architect.. there are some very talented drafties who are a lot cheaper. Finding a drafty who can work to a budget can be difficult. I've found they want to remove liability from this.

There are a couple in-house design/builders around who should be able to work to a budget. 'Candour' builders come to mind.

5. TreeChange@50

TreeChange@50 Well-Known Member

We're raising an existing 3 bed 2 bath 100m2 + decks not far from you. Our budget is not far above the figure mentioned earlier, but we might struggle to meet it. Try www.andinmysparetime.com for some recent-ish Brissie actual figures.

6. Mark#3

Mark#3 New Member

Hi there, do you mind if I ask who you're building / planning with? Do you have a fireplace? Not sure how that's going to work?

7. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Get a draftsman/engineer Maybe $5000 for engineered plans.

Then budget $5000 for certification.

Then budget $1500 to $2000 per m2 depending on finish.

Then budget $8000 for the raise. Then $15000 to $20000 to stump depending on height etc...

That should give u a ball park figure. Its normally cheaper to knock down and build new.

Or you could build it all yourself like I'm doing. But it will take a while. Its cost me about $500m2 to DIY.

BNE and Tom Rivera like this.
  8. LJW

LJW Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link TreeChange. Interesting blog, although their last development was a great example of how not to renovate a Queenslander.