Easiest way to make $1,000,000 from property

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by MTR, 26th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But you still need a strategy to make $3M

Cash class investments? What is this? Yields?

2. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

I was just being cheeky about the other comment that making a million isn't all it crack up to be.

Cash class is where capital is guaranteed. Term deposits, bonds etc. Was looking at this the other day
    http://www.latrobefinancial.com.au/Investors/12MonthTermAccount

MTR likes this.
  3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
  4. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Correct. Its not enough to retire

Correct again

dividend reinvestment

5. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I assume they hold such vast asset base of IPs hence on paper on average the CG represents $1million/yr... (e.g. assume $15million worth property growing at 6.67% each year on average = $1,000,500)... Now imagine this compounding yearly so next year growth on growth. In real life no CG is constant and same each year so we just use the average say over 10 or 20 years, etc...
    Some of us are fortunate enough....congrats!

6. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Someone I know bought old, un-renovated expensive PPOR, did structural renovation, in addition market was rising and hence even after costs/expenses sold after a year making $1million clean (only PPOR hence no CG tax).

Perthguy and MTR like this.
  7. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Would like to see that deal

8. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

I’m currently 100% offset, will do my tax then re assess.
    I’m thinking I’ll start conservatively using leverage to purchase more income producing stocks.
    So now As an example rather then putting a grand a week into my offsets, I’ll use that same thousand plus redraw 300 to buy 1300 worth of stocks a week (numbers are just for examples) the interest on the 300 is deductible also which is a little deal sweetener

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Brilliant
    Easiest way to make money....buy in rising markets

10. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Below, similar concept but slightly different figures on one such property (address and details withheld just numbers illustrated):

Sales History

Transfer Date : Sale
    14 May 2015 : $2,955,000
    10 Aug 2013 : $1,510,000 (owner builder did structural reno renos)
    20 Jul 2012 : $1,360,000 (owner did very minor cosmetic reno and sold 11 months later)
    22 Sep 2011 : $1,180,000

Not $1million but close enough.....many such examples exist and many people do that, just keep upgrading their PPOR while adding either minor or major renovations and timing the market....I assume one needs to be careful that you are not running a business it is to be your PPOR!

MTR likes this.
  11. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Must have been some serious structural renovation, with a 200k additional market upswing during 2013-2015.

12. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

As mentioned the 11 month profit of $150K (excluding costs) was a cosmetic renovation, meaning minor (paint, fixing up few loose cupboards, making small bathroom from toilet nook, fixing up the overall look).
    The 2013-2015, yes was a structural renovation, meaning major (changing the layout, size, render, landscaping, etc...).

13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Easiest way. Buy, hold, sell.

Most tax effective way. Buy a run down ppor in a good area in a rising market. Complete structural renovations. Move in and enjoy your dream home while the market booms. Sell near the peak and pay no tax on your gain. :D

SOULFLY3 and MTR like this.
  14. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a pest, it's just very thorough/detailed me, so:
    BUY, HOLD, RENOVATE, SELL.
    At least you are aware and agree there are many ways to invest into property.....!

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Did he do that in a falling market too and lose a million ?

16. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Yes very easy in a rising market but in falling market it is easy to lose money
    What I am trying to point out is there is skill in making money and good luck in riding a rising market (bad luck in a falling market)
    Sometimes people get confused and feel they skillful in making money but are really just lucky.

17. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be easiest, so if I want to be picky, renovating is not the easiest ;)

Don't talk to me though. I have renovated every property I have ever owned, almost all DIY, and also a couple I didn't own ;)

I don't do easy but hypothetically, the easiest way to make $1,000,000 in real estate is buy, hold, sell. Of course timing is the key.

MWI likes this.
  18. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Perhaps...."We must all wage an intense, lifelong battle against the constant downward pull. If we relax, the bugs and weeds of negativity will move into the garden and take away everything of value."...If we regularly don't look after our gardens the weeds will overtake, right?
    +1! Yes agree to that, renovating was never boring to me too, have done quite few myself, however in coordinating and managing and only minor DIY (sweeping floors, providing coffees:), mitigations and negotiations, internal designs, marketing, etc..).
    I don't know about you but I just love the transformations, the end result...and hence I forget the sweat and tears of the process of grinding through. Like weeding my garden, I dislike what I have to do and see, so I break it into small chunks and concentrate on finishing that. Before I realise...then the end result just puts a smile on my face:)....until I let go and again weeds overtake my garden (such is life too...).

Wanttoretire and Perthguy like this.
  19. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Cannot get if you are being funny or not?:confused:
    But....If you live in your PPOR you do not sell in falling market you just wait, you need a roof over your head...are we comparing this to shares?
    And please elaborate... to lose a million we would need around 50% loss in falling market, assuming of doubling that?

20. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

...lose money => if you need to sell.
    ...what has luck to do with it => it will be time, capital growth, holding costs and cost effective Reno in the example I provided above...;)