Dwelling Site Cover of Development

Discussion in 'Development' started by Bob1, 11th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bob1

Bob1 Member

Hi all

I am considering embarking on my first resi development project. Am considering either a 4 unit with a friend for financial assistance or completing 3 units myself, and am super excited but nervous all at the same time :)

I'm considering a northern suburb in Melbourne. There are different zonings that apply to different properties. A GRZ1 zoning for instance has a maximum site coverage of 60% and minimum open garden space of 35%.
    Council advises me that they are not too concerned whether we erect 3 or 4 townhouses provided it follows the mentioned site cover requirements.
    So if I am looking at a 690sqm block can i reasonably fit 4 townhouses on this of say 2 x 2BM and 2 x 3BM? I know there are reverse-living build options so the kitchen & living areas can go upstairs but i want to avoid this as i think it would have a limited market appeal for resale.

So does anyone know what a reasonable sized townhouse footprint would be for a 2BM with 1 car space and a 3BM with 2 car spaces? Or even where i can go to get this kind of information.

Thankyou

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A town planner. Each site may vary with neigbouring property and boundaries , widths and easements and civils all affecting it.

Tufan Chakir and Archaon like this.
  3. Bob1

Bob1 Member

Thanks Paul, but is there a general rule of thumb that i can use roughly if i see a block of land before engaging on professional services?

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

No. 690m2 is a very small lot. If it's on a corner or bend the setback width etc could easily b a issue. You need good advice. Not free suggestions. Developing on a tight budget may indicate you are not ready. I see people lose money on small Devs a lot. Developing is not a certain profit

5. Nimai Hawkins

Nimai Hawkins Member

OP, you can certainly fit 4 townhouses on a block of that size. Site coverage is not the only consideration, and in many instances you will be ok for site coverage but other ResCode factors such as setback and overlooking will limit the potential of the site.

6. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Not so sure about the certainty of four houses.
    So many variables
    As Paul says get some GOOD advice (town planner or experienced designer). This should consider your objectives, footprints, the lot size, zoning, setbacks, parking, open space (site coverage is very low on the scale of things that require initial assessment). Expect to pay $750 - $1,500 and walk away with a concept plan and assessment of your site.
    Oh, and don't believe everything the Council staff tell you....

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Whats the end plan??

are you planning to sell or hold?????
    Thorough research on product required if you plan to sell