Travel & Holidays Driving through Tasmania

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Johnny Cashflow, 28th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Have been here since last Thursday. Started at Launceston and drove through to Hobart. Back at Launceston now and flying back to Adelaide tomorrow evening.

I finally found a slower economy then SA lol

What a trip!

Did a tree top zip line tour

Visited Port Arthur

River cruise (boring)

Zoo saw some tassy Devils

Did an air walk in Geeveston

Never seen so many trees in my life. Just driving from Launceston to Hobart was an experience in itself

MONA museum didn't like a lot of the art but the place is amazing and definatley must look

Never knew there was so much stuff here.

Definatley have to have a week here to see everything and drive through :)

Share your experiences:p

Last edited: 28th Apr, 2016
  2. menty

menty Well-Known Member

Did Launceston to Hobart via the West Coast and Cradle Mountain.
    Rented a nice car (BRZ)
    Amazing is all I can say.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Went for the first time in the middle of last year (spent just over a week) and loved it.

Highlights were the snow/lake at Cradle Mountain, only disappointing thing was not being able to climb it given the conditions.

The wildlife... everywhere (though unfortunate so much gets hit on the road).

MONA was fantastic and I really liked a lot of the art as unconventional as much of it was.

History at Port Arthur was really interesting (we went over on the island tour).

Chairlift at Cataract Gorge was a great view and not far from Launceston.

The food was great, don't think we had a bad meal the whole time we were there.

& Pumphouse Point was amazing, was very unique to stay in a re-purposed pump house in the middle of a lake. Expensive (relatively speaking), but definitely worth a night there (or two) on the way through from Cradle Mountain to Hobart.

[​IMG]

legallyblonde, geoffw and Gockie like this.
  4. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Highly recommend a day trip to Bruny Island or a night or two there. Great foodie haunts there too. Cheeses, seafood, etc.

The car ferry leaves from Margate south of Hobart.

5. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Would love to one day buy a Nissan R32 Gtr aka Godzilla and drive around Tasmania

Last edited: 29th Apr, 2016
    dan_89 likes this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

It's on the shortlist for our end of year holidays.

Zip line sounds awesome but anything else that can keep kids entertained? Ages 9, 12 and 14

7. Guest

Guest Guest

May depend on whether they are the 'love the outdoors' type or 'eyes glued to the ipad' type.

Wildlife everywhere & plenty of zoos/animal sanctuaries you could visit.
    Mole creek caves were pretty cool.
    I would even recommend MONA for the kids, except some exhibits can be a bit confronting (some parents may wish to steer their kids away from the wall of vaginas).

Johnny Cashflow likes this.
  8. Johnny Cashflow

image.jpeg
    Air Tree walk is pretty good in Geeveston. Walk along a suspended bridge over trees.

Xenia likes this.
  9. Johnny Cashflow

I wouldn't take kids to that. Well depends on age. There is too much weird crap in there.

The architecture of the building and the gardens are better than the "modern art"

All the old tombs and statues from like 2000years ago made it worth it

The story of the whole thing makes it very interesting. Owner is a pro gambler, it cost $75m to build and has $100m of art inside. And he runs the art side of it at a loss of $10m per year. The joining winery and restaurant make up the slack

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  10. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I go to Tassie once a year. Sometimes more than once. It's a great state and Hobart is fabulous city. I've been to MONA eight times now - they change stuff often.
    Last year, one of our quantity surveyors went down to Tassie. Bob is a crusty old semi-retired bloke from north Queensland. I told him he had to go to MONA because he would love the building.
    I quizzed him when he got back and he told me a funny story. He was at MONA with Beryl, the missus. Bob and I were talking about the amazing welded steel staircase the goes up through the middle of the building - he would have been checking out the welds. Then he said he had a bit of a look at the art and was looking closely at this row of plaster casts, a hundred of them, arranged along a wall. Then he heard Beryl laughing with one of the attendants. They walked over to Bob and asked him if he knew what they were. He didn't. Beryl then apparently said, in a voice that according to Bob was perhaps louder than it needed to be, 'He's never seen one close up.'

jim1964 and Guest like this.
  11. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

xanax?

12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

LOL

My kids are both outdoors and ipads :)

13. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

We did Hobart to Launceston(Coastal route)...amazing exp. I don'tunderstand why Aust. Gov doesn't promote Tasmania as tourism as much as QLD....

14. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Yeah so many Vs and a room that is totally white. Some exhibits kinda freaked out my kids. Tassie is lovely. Snow in Mt Wellington. Bruny Island eco tour is great. Will go back again.

15. Johnny Cashflow

I've been to Queensland a few times. But found Tasmania much more entertaining

larrylarry likes this.
  16. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Tasmania is one of the most beautiful places I've been to. Can't wait to go again. And while I understand some of the reasons it isn't overrun by tourists, I'm not sure why it isn't, and really pleased that it isn't. I hope to retire to Hobart.

17. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

We moved here (Hobart) just on 3 years ago now, and love it! It's beautiful here, nature's playground at your doorstep. And to think there was a time I thought we'd be staying in Perth... shudder (no offence Perthites, just too hot and flat and far away from everything) ;)

Giuseppe, Johnny Cashflow and LibGS like this.
  18. Johnny Cashflow

Good job !

19. Johnny Cashflow

Everything is so picture esque.

Really blew my mind how nice it was

LibGS likes this.