Driving Instructor

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Rugrat, 27th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Anyone here a Driving Instructor? Do you enjoy it? Hate it? Is it as easy and straightforward as I am imagining to set up your own business?

As far as I can see, the main costs are the accreditation and then the vehicle itself and dual controls installation.
    I have 6 of my own kids, so I would be up for the cost of a new vehicle to teach them to drive in anyway (my car isn't suitable to learner drivers). And honestly, doing the instructor course, just so I can properly teach my own children, is appealing to me, even without the side business opportunity.

The flexibility of the work appeals to me, especially as my youngest will be heading to school in a year or two; but I will still need flexibility for kids sick days, therapy appointments, schooling and sporting events, etc.

Is there anything I should be considering that I haven't?

2. EK01

EK01 Well-Known Member

Insurance would be the main one I would think followed by some form of accreditation to work with under 18's (blue card in QLD)

Other costs to consider:
    Hair dye to cover up the grey hairs and the cost of tranquiliser prescriptions :)

Rugrat, wylie and datto like this.
  3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I knew someone who did it years ago.

Worked for one of the major driving schools. He reckons to make money he had to do extraordinary hours and it was very very draining and tiring.

Also said double bookings and examination days were the best days. But in the end he went to work as a forkie after about 12 months.

Rugrat and Stoffo like this.
  4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My kids had a husband and wife driving school. My son had the male and I found he really explained things well, (he even used a matchbox cars and drawings to explain errors) so my son only had I think 5 lessons and passed. His wife worked less hours and taught my daughter and she’d chat about life more than teach, that really dragged on the progress as she was being taught more when she would fail a test. The male had a great reputation and fully booked full time including Saturday. He did complain about how little they earnt!

Rugrat likes this.