Driveway repair on property under strata management

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Yonny, 17th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 7020

7020 Well-Known Member

@Yonny for this I would not expect a sinking fund as any maintenance would be done from a special levy.

Also as for changing PM, your new PM will most likely gladly handle the process for you free of charge (I personally love turning up at the competitions office and hand delivering notice of termination)

2. Yonny

Yonny Active Member

I am at the stage of taking the loss and learning from the experience.

What I'm not sure is if Im in contract with the current PM agency.

3. 7020

7020 Well-Known Member

So when you got them to lease the property you would have had an exclusive authority with them for a duration (90-120 days is somewhat normal) unless you recently re-signed with them you are free to change agents. TBH irrespective of that you can't be held hostage to an agent for managing the property.

4. Yonny

Yonny Active Member

Good to know, been with them since 2009. I was under the impression that when I signed an agreement to be managed by them I'm under another contract and the contract is like 6 months or a year.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Without reading back through the thread, seeing these photos makes me scratch my head. I can see the front section edging on your side has moved, but surely any repair should be shared between both lots?

Maybe ask the neighbour if his side had moved would he fix the double driveway, or ask you to share some cost.

6. Yonny

Yonny Active Member

They did initially want to share the cost, but no communication from my PM that I didn't know the seriousness of the issue till 6 months later neighbour complained again and didn't want to do their share.

Strata doesn't want to get involved because the driveway is not a common property.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would ask for the neighbour's number, give them a call and explain that you were left out of the loop for so long and see if you can agree to share. They probably are feeling peeved and a personal call might just fix it.

When I want to "fix" something I don't even let hubby do the talking. If I want something particular conveyed, I make sure I do it myself.

qak and Marg4000 like this.
  8. 7020

7020 Well-Known Member

@Yonny sounds more like you signing leases than a management authority. Either way you are free to leave them. As @wylie said that personal call could make all the difference.

9. Yonny

Yonny Active Member

I tried to get their number n email, but strata manager doesn't let me have it due to privacy. Understandable though. I did leave my number n email for them but no contact, either they're so ****** off or they're afraid I'm a nasty person

10. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Ask your PM for their details ...

wylie likes this.
  11. 7020

7020 Well-Known Member

So fun fact, as a lot owner you are entitled to see the owners corporation register which will have, at a minimum, the lot owners names and addresses. Given that you can't physically attend to inspect you are best off requesting a copy of this. There may be a charge for this (I think the max is $50) then a quick look in the white pages or letter in the mail and you are golden. Section 150 of the Owners Corporation Act 2006

An alternative to the above... Is the contractor that you spoke to to fix the problem able to approach the neighbor.

Yonny and wylie like this.