Driveway entrance, Whos responsible

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Foreshadow, 15th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Foreshadow

Foreshadow Well-Known Member

So my house is an older one, which at some point has had the driveway to the garage moved over a few meter from the original council drive at the curb. When I moved here there was an existing metal ramp that has been placed up the gutter to allow access to the driveway. This ramp looks like its been there for over a decade. It appears over time the weight of vehicles using this ramp has cause it to start to break on 1 edge resulting in a sharp piece of metal on the edge.

Recently we had friends over who used the ramp and parked in the driveway. Upon leaving they didn't line up the ramp exactly and came down it with only half a tyre on the ramp. This resulted them hitting the sharp edge and resulted in a large gash in the tyre requiring replacement.

I'm not to concerned about that tyre as I had knowledge of the sharp edge before hand. But im wondering how to move forward.

I'm assuming as its an addition its not a council problem, but the property owner. Im also concerned if a pedestrian walked on it, it could do some serious damage.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Can you remove it? Or at least fix it (angle grinder)?

3. Foreshadow

I could probably take the edge off with an angle grinder, however it will continue to break with the cars driving on it, exposing a new sharp edge.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Best long term solution may be to correctly re-align kerbing to meet the driveway.
    Obviously you will need council approval.
    Marg

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Apply to construct a cross over & lay back.

6. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

There is a potential liability issue for you here so I would get it fixed ASAP if I were in your position to ensure that no one hurts themselves and then sues you. You owe a duty of care to anyone that is using this part of the driveway (including pedestrians) and knowingly leaving a sharp piece of metal there is a major red flag.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  7. Foreshadow

Sorry I didn't make it clear. Im the tenant here.

So I guess ill just inform the PM and let them deal with it. Thanks.