Cars & Motorbikes Drifting - any drifters on here?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propin, 14th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Drifty

Drifty Well-Known Member

In my experience, motorsport has a very different community environment to normal "sports".
    The racing/motorcycling/drifting communities are super warm and welcoming. Everyone looks out for everyone else and often will fall over themselves to help those who need it.

Have been apart of some very heartwarming community moments within these circles :)

Propin and Lindsay_W like this.
  2. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

There was an accident in which several kids were killed on someone’s property . Lawyers were already circling and the emotional / social fall out was safe .

Having said that I can see the attraction that drifting would have to many people .

Cool video

Looks safer than Mt Panorama at high speed with concrete barriers in either side ...

cliff

Propin likes this.
  3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My son went 90k’s into a brick wall late last year racing. A few cars involved like dominoes - Total write-off! Back at work in two weeks though with all the safety gear. That was pretty hard to watch, see the go pro footage and pictures. We had heaps of help from other drivers to get him back racing in two weeks and build a whole new race car. Thankfully roll cage was in good condition.

4. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I thought this was a thread about moving from house to house...

You should jump into a drift car though. It is good fun. Perhaps not the financial priority at his age though.

The biggest financial sacrifice I made was selling a 600+hp R32 GTR to fund my first property purchase. The car has since gone up more in value than the property, but that isn't quite the point.... ;)

Tell him when you get old like me (and if you make good financial choices) you can go circuit racing.

charttv, Michael Mitchell and Propin like this.
  5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Haha, the parents are the drifters that keep moving state and house. He can’t wait to take me out drifting with him. He loves cars so possibly he’ll give up one of his loves to get a nice car in the future. He can start doing FIFO next year so things may change so it’s his last year to really do what he wants.

Morgs likes this.
  6. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

my brother in law went that way . Owned a Merlyn , open wheeler that came second in the worlds formula ford some time in the 60’s .

He also has a replica Ford GT - 40 which he’s had autographed by the 66 pit crew manager ...

cliff

Propin and Morgs like this.
  7. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yay, he finally got a major sponser for racing!

Clean Cookie and Touristy like this.
  8. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1586470909161.jpg

This is a pic from a Qld Matsuri at QR a few years back. We bonded over cars and shared a Christian faith. lived together in a share house and it was all about cars. All three cars here are worth well more than the three of us have spent on them.

The S13 was auto na and swapped in a turbo manual combo. That did 25 events and the only cost was fuel, oil and tyres. Trick is to keep it stock ecu/power/boost. Had an LSD and was a great car.

My mx5 was designed to go fast around mountains and didn't have enough power to slide without crazy commitment into T2. The 86 has a slightly worked silver top and short diff. screams at 8k rpm sideways. Again, in 10 years he's done zero major maintenance issues and daily driven.

Meanwhile I've spent 30k on the mx5 to make 500whp and it's temperamental, expensive to keep blowing up gearboxes and does 25L/100km in fuel.

Guess who has more fun, they do... Until 200km/hr where I'm flying past.

Drifting up the mountain is much more exciting and (dangerous) and where you cut your teeth on car control in the rain in a KE70 (probably a GT86 these days!)
    3rd gear downhill pitch black on a single lane with roadkill and cliffs is an adrenaline rush. Add in the inevitable drugs and alcohol and it can get messy. I never got involved in that scene, but it's there.

charttv, Michael Mitchell and Propin like this.
  9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

He does make good financial choices and does circuit racing already. Through some hard work he just got his first major sponsor and his car has been transformed. Now to make a few mechanical changes before the next race! Cam Atkins Racing A9C76198-2B65-45B9-88D2-43C7885FA1DE.png

The Y-man and Clean Cookie like this.