Dried paint on hardwood floors

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by couq, 7th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. couq

couq Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I have just looked at my new place for final inspection and there is some paint on hardwood floor that is dry. The hardwood floors are not yet finished.

How would you best go getting paint off the floors before I paint and finish the wood.

Thank you

2. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

A razor blade
    Or there's really good stuff I used on my Tiles to get paint spatter off it was called "lift off"

3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Water or oil based

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Timber :p

5. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

if its on raw timber that is yet to be clear coated just scrape off with a razor then lightly sand the rest. Have your boards been sanded yet? Might just let the floor sander take care of it.

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Be very careful with the 'razer' (I assume people actually mean 'paint scraper' when they say this) as it can gouge the wood.

You can also try scraping it with a normal metal scraper - ideally with the edges rounded off. Paint spots will often peel off once you get the edge of the spot lifted.

Otherwise, sand it off lightly by hand (using sandpaper around a sanding block) or leave it up to whoever is finishing the floor.

The OP says you are painting - if so, use drop sheets and finish the floors last.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Depending on what sort of paint, I've often had good results with a paint scraper and a wet cloth. Place the wet cloth over the scraper and be gentle. Often (especially acrylic paint) the water and the gentle use of the scraper is enough to shift it.