Draftsman rip off?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by MorganHB, 22nd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MorganHB

MorganHB Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,
    I'm asking for a mate of mine who is in the midst of the gearing up for a reno on his PPOR.
    I've never personal had experience with draftsmen but I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this....Basically my mate wants to know if he is getting ripped off.
    They're quoting $5,400 for the attached work.
    Any pointers, tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    MHB.

Attached Files:

2. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Get a couple more quotes and compare. It does not seem that steep though given how much work might be required.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Ask how much good design will save & how much more poor design will cost.

RenegadeDom and Perthguy like this.
  4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Sounds competitive.. subtract engineering, survey and certification work and that leaves drafting at about $3-3.5k.. they may be a well oiled machine if they can provide an all inclusive quote for that price. Don’t need soil testing?

Saving a couple hundred on drafting the plans for a PPOR reno is a false economy imo..

Last edited: 22nd Apr, 2018
  5. evalord

evalord Well-Known Member

Sounds cheap. Depending on the amount of work. Survey and engineering would be at least $2k

6. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

have a look at the cost breakdown

7. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

Seems cheap. I imagine the scope is not overly excessive based on this price.

8. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

Higher price does not always indicate a better result.
    Most draftsman, engineers cut and paste information from one job to the next, template style.
    I'm renovating a house atm and got caught by a desktop engineer that has simply not designed to the plans or reality.
    Whatever your friend decides to do get them to agree with drafty engineer etc up front that they can review the plans with the builder ideally before they pay the final payment.
    If they find any changes or problems after that final payment has been made then they have no bargaining power. This is where I am at and its very frustrating and slows the build.

MorganHB likes this.
  9. Chode

Chode Active Member

Seems like a good price to me considering it includes surveys and engineering. Depending on how big the project is. I paid $3500 for engineering alone on my current reno. More complex than a new build though.