Draftsman/Architect recommendation pls

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by teg499, 23rd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. teg499

teg499 Well-Known Member

My parents bought a small 4 bedroom freestanding house in Bella Vista a few years ago. They intend of selling up their existing large PPOR and move into the Bella vista property next year and live in this property for their retirement.

The house is single storey with a single garage.. Since the house is quite small, they wanted to do an extension by getting rid of the garage and using the garage space for a larger internal area. As they will no longer have a garage, they want to construct a carport. They are also thinking of remodeling the kitchen and possibly rearranging some walls to create more open plan living area.

Who is the best person to advise on ideas / plans / drawings for this extension.. A draftsman or an architect? As the house is small, they want someone who is able to give them some good ideas / designs to maximize the space with this extension.

Has anyone done anything similar in Bella vista /baulkham hills area or can recommend a good draftsman / architect ?

ThankYou.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My thought is that architects give you ideas and can also draw it up and draftsmen simply draw up your ideas. I've used draftsmen to put my ideas into a form acceptable to get the plan certified. Draftsman has never given me any "why don't you move this room and knock out this wall" ideas.

Be aware though that an architect will cost more but if they are unsure what to do to best maximize the potential of the house, it could be worth it.

teg499 likes this.
  3. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Ashwin on 0418 752 154

Does most of our DA from single dwelling to Multi dwelling....

may be worth while giving him a call! he lives in the area....

teg499 likes this.
  4. teg499

teg499 Well-Known Member

@Be Developer Thank you for the contact. I will definitely give him call.

380 likes this.
  5. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Sophie Hoppe. Based in Gosford but a lot of clients in Sydney.

0415 704 752

Architect but not a registered architect. So gives you ideas and concepts to work with and establishes what you want rather than drawing what you want..

teg499 likes this.
  6. teg499

teg499 Well-Known Member

Thanks mate.