Downsizer - Retirement - what are your goals?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propin, 11th Mar, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

A couple of my friends a few years older then us have bought their downsizer - 4x2 with a couple of living areas and a pool. 800-1000sqm block. I’ve been thinking about my ideal downsizer.

3x2 or at 3x1 with a second toilet. 2 living areas. Double garage. 500-800sqm block so we can grow veggies and potter around. Room for the boat and or caravan. Brownie points for both. Maybe could do single garage. 5-15 minute drive to the beach.

What is your dream home in retirement?

When do you make the change? I want to move on around early - mid 50’s.

Stoffo, MTR and mrdobalina like this.
  2. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Each to their own but a 1000sqm property in retirement seems like a lot of work..

Omnimaqq23, jprops, iloveqld and 3 others like this.
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

At 65/70.
    Living in a fairly new property hopefully will last 20 years without major maintenance.
    Near to shops and amenities.
    Near public transport.
    Maybe 100/200m2 yard. Water wise garden
    A large lock up double garage 7m x 7m

4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

The first criteria is no more than 200m to public transport.
    One bathroom and 2 toilets... hate cleaning showers and bath.
    Nice natural breeze, minimum use of AirCon.
    Two big bedrooms.
    Enough space for dinners for 8 people...
    Under 10k to Beach and to city.
    Am I dreaming?

Coota9, iloveqld, Propin and 2 others like this.
  5. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Our PPOR is a single level 5x3 (or 4br plus study) on 1000m2 with pool and double garage in fantastic leafy suburb.

Had never thought of downsizing, however, a recent discussion with other half had me thinking. If one of us was to suddenly drop off the perch, would I (or other half) want to live here given the size and amount of maintenance and cleaning etc that this size property entails?

So in our case it has me thinking, however, there are not many single level options unless one moves to a townhouse in another area.

If the move to a smaller suitable place as a couple is not feasible, at least one can close off the rooms not in use and pay someone to clean the house (fortnightly?), do the gardens (monthly) and maintain the pool (monthly).

All costly, but probably chimp change in the scheme of things compared with buying and selling to downsize.

Obviously we will keep looking to see if something comes up that suits our needs as we age as a couple:) or even as a single:( but good to know there are always options.

iloveqld, Marg4000, oracle and 2 others like this.
  6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I know! I met the loveliest, spritey guy on the weekend who is 74, looking after his 102 yr old mum living on 1000sqm after downsizing from 5 acres. When I asked him what the secret was he said, “gardening”. It did inspire me to not cut down in garden size too soon, especially when you can grow your own food.

Marg4000, iloveqld, LexF and 4 others like this.
  7. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

The secret isn’t gardening

The secret is having something you want to do .

Whether it’s gardening , or being a member of a walking club or whatever . The old adage applies to retirement as to many other endeavors , if you fail to plan , you plan to fail

ThisIsLiving, PaulB, iloveqld and 8 others like this.
  8. Samwise

Samwise Well-Known Member

To me the ideal downsizer is about quality rather than quantity - which implies a well-located and well-designed (by an architect) townhouse or courtyard house, with attractive and forgiving gardens, making it easy to lock up and leave for seasonal adventuring overseas...

... possibly to our other well-located and well-designed (by an architect) townh.... etc...

So maybe the goal/ future project is to plan for/build the above

Last edited: 12th Mar, 2024
    SLP07, Big A, Shogun and 2 others like this.
  9. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

3 Bedroom
    3 Bathroom
    12 Garage
    :D

SLP07, craigc, Big A and 3 others like this.
  10. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

We have been talking about this a bit lately. I’m all for just staying where we are, which is on acreage, and paying someone to come in and do some cleaning and maintenance as required. I don’t want the stress and hassle of moving and the cost of a cleaner/ maintenance person doesn’t look too bad in the scheme of things. Selling up and paying large commissions to blood sucking agents and whatever is also a turn off.

However, I’m mindful of what the wife wants too. Her health and happiness is right up there so another factor to consider.

Living where I am gives the freedom to do all the hobbies and things I want.

My worst nightmare would be waiting around to die in a rest home somewhere.

PaulB, Stoffo, Propin and 2 others like this.
  11. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Honestly, this might be unpopular, but I'd develop a front/back unit and live in the front whilst hopefully one son will live at the back with his future wife/kids. We'd just need 3 rooms up top and 1 master down bottom with a KDL downstairs and 2 toilets downstairs.

We don't plan to live in it much though, thinking of actually spending at least 4 months abroad and live in those micro units in Tokyo or New York and spend the rest in resorts or the Japanese countryside LOL, OK this is becoming too much of a dream...

12. Cousinit

Nothing wrong with having a dream mate. Do whatever makes you happy as you’re only getting one shot at it. I’m thinking of going back to the US to do another through hike. Possibly the Appalachian Trail this time next year.

Propin and Shogun like this.
  13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Good luck with that!
    Not sure what future daughter-in-law will think of this idea.

jprops, Samwise and Lacrim like this.
  14. Nobody

Nobody Well-Known Member

I'll have a few stones thrown at me.

One of the factors include the willingness of the mother in law accepting this daughter in law as part of the family. It's under seperate roofs so can't be that bad. :p

Marg4000 likes this.
  15. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Have you done the PCT?

16. Cousinit

Yes I have. I completed it last season. Started March 30th and reached Canada on the 13th September.

geoffw and Shogun like this.
  17. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Hence we're planning on renting it out for 6 months of the year whilst we become overseas tenants LOL.

Marg4000 likes this.
  18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

A 2x1 - 3x2 house on less than 400 sqm with parking, near transport and a tranquil zen like garden will do me. Have IPs that fit the bill. Plan is to slow travel like crazy so while we're doing that, won't be spending more than 6 months a year at home. That's the plan.

Financially, that looks viable right now. Just have to wait till the youngest is self sufficient.

Shogun and Propin like this.
  19. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Not too far from a decent major hospital, not more than 10 min from an ambulance arriving....
    Being walking distance from the supermarket/shopping center
    I'm in for the decent yard also as I'm always gardening (probs not by 90).
    A smaller home, after living in a large house for many years having a smaller house now is a breeze for housework.......
    Also 10 min drive from the beach.
    Low crime area
    Not a retirement village
    Brick with aluminium Windows for ease of maintenance, solar hws & solar panels
    Yeah, pretty much got all of that now :D

mrdobalina, Shogun and Propin like this.
  20. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

To add to the above, also buy a place that you can build a granny flat/second residence on when you get past gardening :rolleyes:
    That way you can go live in a nice new home that's set up with a ramp, hobless shower with hand rails, also fully wheel chair accessible ;)
    You can then rent out the house for extra pocket money to spend at the local/club :D

iloveqld and Propin like this.