Double Dissolution: Have your say

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Skilled_Migrant, 18th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

To be honest, I do not think a chunk...

a understand
    b care (as long as govt payments keep coming)
    c are over it and vote for no one, or throw vote away, or pick anyone at random.

2. dabbler

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

LibNat minority government? I realise it is unlikely MT would lose his seat and LibNats form government. But I don't want to see him rewarded for his treachery and then to top it off, not doing a better job. If you are going to go to all the touble of rolling a first term PM, at least do a good job when you seize power.

I would hope the monk would not get another go at PM since he made a hash of it last time around.

If we have a look at Howard, Rudd, Gillard, Abbott, Turbull, it seems that age and experience don't make a good PM. Why not give someone younger and less experienced a shot? They might make a complete mess of it... they would be in good company. At least they might bring some new ideas to the table. Something that has been sorely lacking lately.

I was talking to my lefty mate about who he would actually like to see voted back in at this election. We both get our pick of the bunch from all sides of politics, no limit on the number. I struggled to name half a dozen and he could count the number he would like to see back on one hand. Says a lot really.

4. dabbler

Yeah, but can't you clearly see he is not able to do what your saying ? He has had to do a deal which has tied his hands, in effect, there is no point being there, apart from being less embarrassing on the world stage and able to be far better (read trickier) with English. A puppet if you like, as were the priors.

This is what we are reduced to, a bunch of bickering chooks, focused on the pecking order and self interest.

AndrewTDP and Perthguy like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

6. Perthguy

I understand what he did to get there but go big or go home I say. I wish he would pack his bags.

Australian politics for the last 12 years. Oh dear, has it been that long? :(

7. dabbler

Well we can only hope, if elected, he has a full go at it with the outlook of it being only one term, but I sense if he is worried now and won't take the risk of proving the people are with him, then he will be worried about the same thing after.

You would think with financial security, you would stand up and start telling them to fall in line if elected, we will see, but not looking too bright. He has a chance to change politics if he chooses, or just be another chook, so far he is well cooped up.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. dabbler

She is a clever cookie surviving as she has, would not mind if she had been given the job.

9. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Does not have a head for economy. Was sub-optimal (being polite here) as a shadow treasurer.

10. dabbler

Maybe true, but as PM she can hire a smart treasuer... (maybe Keating or even Costello's siblings or relatives...lol )

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Carrytrader

Carrytrader Active Member

who would've thought the government would have lost so much support in the last 3 months that if a election is held today it will be a toss up.

Lost that much political capital and didn't even push through any signature legislation to show they done anything.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Does MT realise that 2 July is in the school holidays?

13. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary decent people are fed up with being sick and tired. I am certainly not and I am sick and tired of being told that I am.

14. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary decent people are fed up with being sick and tired. I am certainly not and I am sick and tired of being told that I am.

15. Skilled_Migrant

Any (fines) revenue raising measure which is not a tax is fair game.

16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

17. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

MT has made a big mistake - well, a few. He likely made the decision to go to a DD when he was popular. Now he's not he shouldn't have pulled the trigger.

You go to a DD when you're extremely popular - which he is now not. Or/and you have a pocket full of bills to pass in a joint sitting - he has neither.

If he gets returned (which is iffy) he will get the ABCC bill passed. So what? The electorate doesn't understand it and doesn't really care much. Not something to campaign on.

The senate he gets will be just as uncooperative as what he had. The greens will pick up a few seats. Lambi will likely get back in, Lazarus has a chance and there will be as many, if not more whacko's as before.

18. Perthguy

Listen to the rumblings of the people I associate with, there are going to be a lot of protest votes. Enought protest votes and who knows who we will get in the senate?

Both TA and MT have blamed the senate for all their woes. Another reading of the whole mess is that really, the legislation they have sent up just wasn't that good.

19. Skilled_Migrant

The budget will push MT further into the corner. Major reforms are required to address deficit http://www.afr.com/news/policy/budg...t-spending-to-save-aaa-moodys-20160414-go607c
    But given the immediate elections, there will be hardly any measures except token thin capitalization and superannuation amendments.
    Shorten will run with either unfixed/increased deficit or increased taxes if budget is slightly bold. Heavens help if the AAA rating gets hit in the period between budget and election.
    DD is not turning out as expected for MT.

20. barnes

barnes Well-Known Member

I can if I will have no other option. Libs - no go.