Door between two bedrooms

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Art Vandelay, 30th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Well-Known Member

We're just about to settle on a little 2 bedroom house that we'll be giving some TLC before renting out. There's currently an old concertina between the two bedrooms - photo attached.
    It's not going to be a big renovation as we'll likely knock down in the next 3-5 years, but know we need to do something about the door. Privacy between the two bedrooms is obviously a concern.
    Our current options are to put in a new standard door with a lock, or studwork and close up the gap. Not sure on the material of the other walls, but it's very light weight so we're a little concerned about being able to sheet it so that it looks okay after removing the wall paper and painting the room.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

I did this a few weeks ago, you might not even need to studwork the gap just get a thicker gyprock.

I would remove the door architraves and gyprock the gap or the whole wall. It'll cost a few hundred diy. You could remove the cornicing or just gyprock right up to the bottom of it if the house is going to be knocked down.

Good chance those walls are asbestos as it has those spaces on the wall and corners.

Art Vandelay likes this.
  3. Art Vandelay

Thanks @rhinsor - I just went back and re-read your thread. Coming along very well!

Good idea to remove the architraves. I think we'll end up just gyprocking the gap and making it look as inconspicuous as possible.

4. rhinsor

Gyprocking the gap requires some thinking as the door frame is usually flat with the wall. You might have to remove the frame and just stud work it.

Their are youtube videos specifically for removing doors and patching the hole.

Art Vandelay likes this.
  5. rhinsor

How's the import/export business?

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3 studs, bottom & top plate.
    Remove architraves.
    Allow for thickness of plasterboard and consider using fibro if the wall is to be made flush both sides.

You might scrounge enough timber from roadside cleanup or a skip bin.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would buy a door that fits as the cheapest way to give privacy without the extra work involved with removing architraves, nogging and plastering plus patching edges and blending it - especially for something cheap and cheerful to last just a few years.

8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Pfft, couple of noggins horizontally then sheet it with some MDF and paint :D

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

OMG that wallpaper! Have just spent the last few days removing it and glue and lead paint from one of the rooms in the house I'm working on. Vintage early 80's? Or prior?

10. wylie

I'd install a door (saves doing any modifications to the walls, trim, skirts) and paint straight over the wallpaper. How much extra rent will you get for this place after stripping wallpaper as opposed to painting over it. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I'm not being rude either ;). Just think about how much elbow grease you need to make this "great" when you could make it "better" for much less money and elbow grease, and if it is only a matter of $20 per week and you might knock it down in three years, that is an extra $3k over three years. Is it worth it?

bob shovel likes this.
  11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I don't get that one, this is more my speed
    "You can't polish a turd"

I'm with wylie leave as a door. To much trouble to match everything. But if your getting rid of that wall paper a few timbers and some gyprock can be done easily

12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Me too! You've said that you're going to demolish in a few years, so don't go to too much trouble. Painting over the wallpaper is a lot easier than removing it, and can look good if done right, and just make it a door, but with a lock. Too easy!

13. Art Vandelay

It's going okay. Thinking of quitting the exporting, and just focussing on the importing.

House is late 50's - no idea as to the vintage of the wallpaper. Little old lady that lived there had been there for 57 years, and doesn't look to have touched anything in at least 30!

Think it might come down to whether we remove the wallpaper or just paint over the top - if the wall paper comes down there's a better chance of us patching, if we paint over than I think we'll put the door in. From what I remember the wallpaper was in pretty good condition, so hopefully we can get away with painting over the top.
    Is it possible to restick/touch up wallpaper if it's lifting up a little on the edges?
    Will post some before, during and after photos as @rhinsor has done once we get in there!

WattleIdo likes this.
  14. Art Vandelay

For anyone that is interested I've attached a photo of the current state of the bedrooms.
    We plan to have it on the rental market in early Jan, so there isn't a big rush and we're happy to spend a little extra time on it. FIL is a builder and has done a lot of the work with us helping afterhours / on weekends.
    IMG_20151202_193711318.jpg

bob shovel likes this.
  15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

But you can roll it in glitter.

I like the term lipstick on a pig as well.

Art Vandelay likes this.
  16. wylie

These are all terms I use (choosing my audience carefully of course). What a rich language we have :p:D