Dontrentme.com.au

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Chilliblue, 30th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

How can this site not be open to rorting

D.T. likes this.
  2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Won't be a round for long, just wait till the lawsuits start flying.

S.T likes this.
  3. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

It made for a good laugh when reading a few :p

In saying that, I doubt it will get taken offline any time soon. You'd think that you wouldn't want to drag your business into this though. He doesn't even have private domain registration on, smh.

4. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Yes, noticed that. Maybe one of their web developers had a bad experience or defaulted on their rent. This is their revenge. Either that or they just think investors are evil.

5. 733

733 Well-Known Member

6. 733

733 Well-Known Member

http://www.dontrentme.com/

This is a concern to the sector - I have almost given up on reading hotel 'reviews' given most are not grounded in any facts when I go somewhere and compare and contrast to the reviews given - more often than not the reviews are @#nonsense - a site such as this is open to litigation for slander, open to manipulation and false claims and will require close monitoring and safeguards to be put in place to manage the real and/or potential risks. As a LL of 9 IPs my partner and I proactively work to manage our maintenance issues requiring us to budget our identified 'program of works' as per outcomes of inspection reports - I would not be happy being placed on a site such as this when one maintenance issue is scheduled to be addressed but not addressed the day the tenant asks for it - this site requires very careful scrutiny and safeguards

7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

One tenant was complaining about a property being 'high maintenance' and not having an auto-irrigation system!

legallyblonde likes this.
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

I like the concept. There are tenancy databases to protect landlords from bad tenants, why should landlords avoid scrutiny when it's deserved?

Gingin likes this.
  9. 733

733 Well-Known Member

That is a fair comment. The Residential Tenancy Authority (RTA) is a government agency established for this specific issue - to oversee the practices of landlords and tenants; likewise the Qld Civil and Administration Tribunal conciliates and/or hears matters with fair decision making; likewise tenants have access to multiple human service tenancy advocacy agencies to support tenants work through unfair practices; likewise we have Legal Aid which is a free service to support tenants fully funded - these bodies collectively serve to support the interests and wellbeing of tenants and work well because they are appropriately regulated and staffed by people with appropriate capabilities to undertake a balanced approach to issues

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    inertia and Guest like this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My understanding is that landlords and agents must do certain things before listing a bad tenant but it seems anybody can damage a landlord's reputation on this site with no justification.

I am all for bad, uncaring or lazy landlords being forced to fix things and treat tenants well but it seems this new site could be used to damage a reputation over something without proof or just out of spite.

Hanison, EN710, Kael and 3 others like this.
  11. Chilliblue

The landlord version is not generally available to the open public as this is for addresses.

What happens if you purchased one of the negative properties and had no idea this website exists.

12. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

The tenants situation is very clean cut - Pay your rent on time and don't damage the property basically.

The landlords side isn't. The tenant may be renting an older property that requires regular maintenance because they have never "owned" something themselves this concept may seem alien to them. There might be ongoing issues with the property that take time to resolve, you might have just had a dud PM at the time, many reasons.

I have a good example of where this site could be damaging to me, some of my properties are rented to families where there is a stay at home mum. No offence to stay at home mums but they seem to love just burning the world online because they don't have any other outlet while they are at home by themselves with a bub. They nit pick on every little detail. Types like that would be on this site for every issue that came up.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  13. Guest

Guest Guest

How else might a specific landlord be identified? The tenant may not know the landlords name to use in a complaint if they do not deal with them directly.

I agree a complaint using the owner and managing agency names would be better and there needs to be some controls around what can be posted to the site. I like the concept, a fair implementation would definitely require some further work.

I noticed there is an ability to input dates of tenancy, but some complaints have left this key detail out.

14. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

15. Stimpy

Stimpy Member

What a bad idea without correct legislation!

You cant just stick bad tenants on tica, there is a process that must be followed so that legitimate people should be on there and not an agent with a grudge against someone.
    This site is just a case of register and post away... very dangerous!

Last edited: 8th Sep, 2015
  16. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

You are missing the most important... who will be the first PC member to be reported?

S.T and Gingin like this.
  17. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Serious first world problem that is!

18. Chilliblue

OR already has been

19. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

After reading a few other threads about how stingy a few members are with what sounds like routine maintenance I think I could name a few likely suspects:p

Moorey82 and D.T. like this.
  20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with it if this statement is true: