Health & Family Don't smoke

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by hammer, 13th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I've spent the last week in hospital with a nasty infection. I'm out tomorrow but I've been "rooming" next to 3 guys all with complications from smoking.

Now when i say complications....I mean decapitated feet, Lung cancer, coughing up blood, skin disorders and Christ knows what else.

The Guy next to me is screaming in agony as the nurse scrapes what's left of his feet to send a specimen away for testing.

These are blokes in their late 50s.

Anyway, if any of you out there are still smoking.....for the love of all things holy stop! You do not want to see this....

Gockie, legallyblonde, Joynz and 4 others like this.
  2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

And you know the odd thing? When (if) they get out chances are they'll keep smoking. I have just had a cardiologist staying in my Airbnb for a month. He said he has to try very hard not to slap his patients around the ears when he discovers they are still smoking after his repeated warnings.

3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I'm not a regular smoker but if someone offers me one it's hard to resist.... :D

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Never smoked never will. Horrible habit.

EN710, legallyblonde, Joynz and 2 others like this.
  5. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I can't wait until smoking is illegal. I absolutely detest it.

I was in hospital recently as well and the bloke to my right was in for asthma and lung related issues. When I was discharged I was walking out and saw him outside having a cigarette. Made me angry.

I can kind of understand older people who were told when they were younger that smoking was good for them and now it's such a deeply ingrained habit they can't kick it. But for the life of me I cannot fathom why someone would take up smoking these days knowing all the risks and dangers of it.

Don't even get me started on providing free healthcare for self inflicted illnesses such as smoking....

Savy mum and Sackie like this.
  6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

The thing that gets me is that for people to become addicted to smoking that first have get over the first stage of burning mouth, horrible taste etc.. why put yourself through that if there's a good chance you'll get cancer and go broke in the process.

At least it's not viewed as cool anymore?

Barny likes this.
  7. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Spend a day on hospital next to someone with smoking-related problems.

You'll never have a cigarette again. Ever.

We bang on about risk vs reward on this forum... Giving up smoking would have to be the lowest risk, highest reward thing you could ever do. It's a guaranteed return too.

Doesn't matter how rich you are if you're busy with a long, slow, painful death.

Savy mum likes this.
  8. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I don't even need to do that. I've had relatives die from smoking related illnesses etc. Seen it all and yet when i've had a few drinks or hard day at work...if someone offers me one I just love it! :O

9. Konn

Konn Well-Known Member

All my uncles and grandfathers smoke pretty heavily since it was pretty normal in Asian countries. One died at 80 and ones still alive at 85. No uncles suffer obvious health problems related to smoking and all 40-late 60's.

But yea, I've never touched that **** because its too expensive.

10. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

And was in hospital in 2014 (visiting my mother) seeing patients with lung cancer that never smoked, how about that?

And the personal trainer lady opposite my mum"s bed with Breast cancer , so all this talk about smoking as far as im concerned is wrong.

Oh by the way looking out the window in the hospital overlooking the carpark, who did i see walking out towards the hospital exit gate with a cigarette in her hand?

One of my mothers Cancer doctors !!!!!

If you go out of the hospital at around lunchtime you will see many doctors and nurses smoking outside

I really think drinking alcohol and taking drugs ice, etc is much much worser

11. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Really? You think 'all this talk about smoking ... is wrong'. If I was the sort of person who uses those emoji things I would go looking for the one that has someone hitting their head against the wall or something like that. Or maybe hitting somebody else's head against the wall.
    Smoking increases the risk of getting cancer and having other health issues. Everyone has known for many years. Sure, plenty of doctors and especially nurses smoke, but that doesn't mean they don't know it's a dumb thing to do. And of course alcohol and other drugs are not clever, either. Driving without a seatbelt is dumb, too. It doesn't mean everybody who drives without a seatbelt will die, but it means they are at great risk in an accident.
    Scott

Sackie, Joynz and 158 like this.
  12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I had no option as a child but to breath in second hand smoke. My father would fill the house with it. I hated it but what option did I have other than to remove myself from the rest of the family and never watch TV or be in the living area? We had one living room. One TV.

He told me once when I was about 15 and complained about having to sit and breath it in, that he would never smoke in my house in the future, and he never did. Ultimately, he gave up smoking, but we children (and my mother) breathed second hand smoke (which I believe can be worse, we don't have a filter), all our lives.

It amuses me when people say "my grandma is 90 and smokes like a chimney" like that somehow proves all the experts wrong.

13. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I remember a family game of cricket where my Dad was running between wickets and could hardly manage. My guess is it was a virtual lifetime of smoking and drinking that caused his lack of fitness.

I was 10 at the time and sensed he was going to die soon. 3 years later at the age of 47 he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and 6 weeks later was dead. He could have gotten cancer anyway but Im convinced the smoking and drinking did not help his case.

I decided there and then that I would not repeat history and have lived a comparatively healthy life with the odd indiscretion in my youth.

Im 47 next birthday and convinced I will live past 90.

Gockie, Sackie, Joynz and 2 others like this.
  14. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I started smoking at 13, my parents owned a deli, so cheap smokes :) At 48 i decided to give them away,i promised my dad i would give them up, it didnt happen in his lifetime(he was a non smoker). Have not had one for just over 5 years now.At my smoking height i was going through 50 a day, if i can give them up,believe me anyone can.

Sackie and Joynz like this.
  15. wylie

When I was 12 my parents bought a tobacconist. I remember people coming to buy their smokes saying "when they reach 50 cents a pack, I'll give them up". Of course, they didn't.

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A personal tobacconist :rolleyes: Many smokers dream of just a humidor for special occasions. :confused:

17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

My mum was a heavy smoker until recently. She got Trancient Ischemic Attack last year when travelling to China, while smoking in high altitude. Got into hospital there, then transferred to hospital home, in pain and in long term meds. Stopped smoking now.

You can tell people it's unhealthy, it's bad, it causes diseases, shorter lifespans, etc. but until they personally learn what those things really mean many of them won't stop.

Last edited: 13th Oct, 2017
  18. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

When I had my son 2 years ago and was leaving the hospital, there was no where outside the maternity hospital to sit and wait for my husband to bring the car as there were too many new mothers out there smoking with their babies. I’d just had an emergency Caesar and couldn’t stand to wait and hold the baby as well. Luckily my mother-in-law rocked up so my newborn son and I didn’t have to sit among the smokers. Truly disgusting!

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Back in the bad old days, people could (and did) smoke at their desks. I was a smoker back then.

Smoking gradually got pushed out of offices, out of restaurants, and eventually out of pubs and clubs.

I gave up 8 months before my daughter was born, she’s now almost 28.

hammer and MTR like this.
  20. wylie

A tobacconist, also called a tobacco shop or smoke shop, is a retailer of tobacco products in various forms and the related accoutrements, such as pipes, lighters, matches, pipe cleaners, pipe tampers. More specialized retailers may sell ashtrays, humidification devices, hygrometers, humidors, cigar cutters, and more. ;)

We also had two old fashioned barbers out the back using cut-throat razors with leather sharpening straps.

These days, as a twelve year old, legally I couldn't sell much of the stock we sold. Things were much simpler then.

And I remember when you could choose to sit in the non-smoking section of a plane. :confused: