Donald Trump for President..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by willair, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Also it was not a one way transfer. Australia was going to take Central Americans fleeing violence.

Chrispy likes this.
  2. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Well Trump has caved and accepted the refugees after all. complete ass on the phone by the sounds of it, talking himself up again. Turnbull just raised his eyebrows when asked about his conversation with the prat. Pretty soon leaders will express what they really think about trumpty dumpty, already happening in Europe, Trump will be a figure of ridicule within a month and noone will take him seriously.

If you go by the ridiculous religious/source country danger argument maybe Australia got the raw end of the deal ? After all the countries that the Christian refugees come from (El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras) are far more violent (more than 20 times the murder rate) than the primary one the Muslim refugees come from (Iran). Of course you can´t equate refugee risk with the countries they are coming from but many Islamophobes do.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. geoffw

Damned by faint praise.

If you keep trying to hit everything with a sledgehammer, you're going to hit something which needed hitting. There are undoubtedly things he's going to do right.

One of the few things I see him heading in the right direction is to start to try to find visa overstayers.
    I thought so initially myself. But after the first few weeks of Trump, I think that a person with at least some experience of how to get things done in the political system would be a good thing. And presumably, having been a state governor, he would know how to ask for and take advice from other people. I'm sure that I would disagree with many of his viewpoints. An evangelical Catholic is a very rare breed, a viewpoint which I suspect I wouldn't have a lot of commonality. But at least he wouldn't be driving a bulldozer through the political system.

Lizzie and wylie like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've been watching Anderson Cooper (balanced coverage in my opinion though I know they don't like Trump), and Fareed Zakaria. I watched Hannity the other night. What a ranting, rude person he is, yelling over the top of his guest because they were (politely) anti-Trump. I've never seen such behaviour on anything I've watched on CNN.

The other thing I've noticed whenever I've switched to Fox is the musical interludes. If I want to watch that crap I'll watch a music show. I cannot stand it. It's like watching Today or Sunrise. Lightweight rubbish with some ranting lunatic (Hannity) in the middle.

And, honestly, this is all going to the dogs. I really do believe something big is going to happen. The lunatics are running the asylum.

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It's okay - I don't think anyone takes him seriously now. The world simply sits backs and snorts in laughter as he tries to bully other leaders with ridiculous handshakes ... the Trudeau look is priceless ... blasts judges for doing their jobs (upholding the law) and buggers off every weekend for a golfing holiday (yet gets a security briefing at his golf resort, in front of patrons).

I think he's sick of the job already - and it shows.

Ivanka's clothing line is getting dropped by store buyer after store buyer and another mass rally is being organised.

wategos, DaveM, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

It gets very interesting when you read and study up on the history of MrTrump going back to the author of The Power Of Positive Thinking by DrNormanVincentPeale in 1952 that was on the NewYorkTimes best seller list 186 weeks one of the best books ever put on paper..

From what i have read both his sister and MrTrump were married by DrPeale at the MarbleCollegiateChurch but i'm unsure as too the rare breed..

How Norman Vincent Peale Taught Donald Trump to Worship Himself

Francesco likes this.
  9. geoffw

Actually, I don't place much by this.

They examined his account, which appears to be normal procedure for any client coming under increased public scrutiny. Nothing has been found at this stage.

Of more importance in my view, but receiving less scrutiny, are increasing attempts to deport immigrants, not all illegal. There are people now being deported who have records for things like working with a bad social security (from people who were not allowed social security) or driving without a licence (for people who were not allowed a licence). It's gone beyond people with records for which we would call a true criminal record.

There is a large group of young people who were allowed deferred action because they came into the US as young people and who fill certain conditions. There's talk that these people will be losing their exempt status.

There's the gag placed on any government scientific organisation from releasing any information publicly without vetting from the White House.

There's reports coming out now that some people entering the US must unlock their mobile phones for immigration officials- even US born citizens (with foreign names).

At the same time, while protecting its citizens from the terrorist threat, the requirement for people not to have a mental illness when buying arms is being lifted. Go figure.

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  10. geoffw

11. wylie

Not sure who's already seen this, but here is Charlie Pickering's version of "America First"...

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

13. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

What a joke Trump is turning out to be.. we knew he would be bad but this is worse than expected. Every day brings some new episode of jaw dropping behavior, repeating lies (which maybe be thinks are really true), hyping up "terrorist threats" to scare the masses, labeling real news as "fake", gets all his info from late night right wing talk shows and tweets identical phrases. The guy is a vindictive, petty, thin-skinned ignorant *******. Even more scary are the characters he has employed and surrounded himself with, some of them quite nasty.

The "fake news" garbage accusations he repeats every day could be a precursor to something more sinister, suppression of the free press. One thing that has impressed me though in all this is the US media, they are not taking this crap and are standing up to him, good on them.

Spoony, wylie, Ed Barton and 2 others like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Which is making a lot of intelligent share investors quite nervous - as the direction, when it all implodes, could be very nasty.

wylie likes this.
  15. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

He has all the early signs of a dictator.
    1. Barking out orders with no reference to a parliament or other body
    2. Get rid of or control the media. Fake news is a start
    3. Replace independent police/military with his own. Attacks on security orgs the start.
    4. Get rid of elections. His claim of rigged elections is a start

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

geoffw and wylie like this.
  17. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

You folks make me laugh :) Why do you take this Trump-presidency to heart? You're going to have a heart attack if you keep this up.. just relax. I'm pretty sure that Pres. Trump will not affect your life in any way unless you keep feeding yourselves the hype.

Try not reading the news for a week... see how you feel.

MTR likes this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

As a global citizen, and investor, who cares about what goes on outside of our wee little country and doesn't not consider myself the centre of the universe or want to see his style of governance and hatred spread to our shores ... I care

Ambit, spludgey, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  19. geoffw

Actually there will possibly be some direct affect on my wife or myself shortly. We will be in transit through the United States after visiting the Middle East. We're not visiting any of the currently banned countries, but that list of countries could change. A Mexican born wife with Middle East visits...

She has a lot of worries about what will happen to her family in Mexico. The collapse of the peso is already affecting their business. There's talk of many millions being deported, many of whom don't even speak the language of their ancestral country with any fluency.

I have lived in the US so I have a particular interest. A lot of things happening cause me pain for a country I've known well. There's threats on a free press. There's been surges in incidents against non Americans, especially brown skinned ones. Millions of people who have lived a good and productive life in the US will be deported- ultimately, I believe, to the detriment of the US. Are there really enough unemployed white Americans willing to harvest the crops, clean the hotel rooms, and to do the otherwise undesirable jobs- for low pay? The US has grown on the back of cheap labour.

Our own economy is strongly connected to that of the US. We export $US22B to them annually. And now trade treaties are to be torn up. This will have some effect on us.

His phone call with our prime minister shows the complete lack of regard that Trump has for Australia, and is a sign that we should be seeking stronger ties with other countries, to avoid catching the cold when the US sneezes.

Lizzie and wylie like this.
  20. wylie

With a fair amount in international shares, as well as the reasons Lizzie and Geoff have outlined, this is very important to me and to Australia.

We're not going to have a heart attack over it though, so relax.

Ed Barton and geoffw like this.